Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
College football Canada-style
Posted By: bdery, 10-06-2008, 11:49 AM

Here are seven shots from a recent football game at my university. All shot with the K20D and a Vivitar series 1 70-210. Manual lenses can do sports, it seems, whatever the guys in the 8th picture might think . Imagine, I didn't have any super-modern AF system, only my hand and eyes, and a 30 years old lens.

Oh, and my team, the red shirts, won (unbeaten in three years, I think)

Enjoy (C&C welcomed):

I wonder at what aperture they were shooting...

Views: 1,369
10-06-2008, 11:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Love the shots

The last one made me laugh

Makes me want to go take a stop the local college one night for a game
10-06-2008, 12:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks inpart to this forum, I have become sentenced to taking greater notice of photographers in many situations myself.
I recently attended a high school football game where one of the stand out field photogs of course had a full rig on monopod for some late night shots. After every shot he made notes on a little pad he wore on his waist utility belt and I wondered what he was writing. I should have asked.
My monopod at least looks like the one in your last image but I will never own a lens with the girth and performance of these.
10-06-2008, 05:13 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Monopods are certainly useful, but I haven't needed any to shoot this game... Image stabilization and an f3,5 lens will do the job. I didn't even use the fastest aperture.

Colours and saturation are always impressive with this lens.

10-06-2008, 09:21 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Le Rouge et Or contre Concordia?

U-Laval ont gagné j'magine?

Pat
10-07-2008, 06:52 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
Le Rouge et Or contre Concordia?

U-Laval ont gagné j'magine?

Pat
vw2vfd, yes they won, but they didn't play well at all. 21-12, it should have been a more dramatic victory. Le Rouge et Or did better against the Redmen last week They're really headed for the Cup this year. Sad thing is that because of travels, I'll be missing most home games.

To be fair, Condorcia did put up a fight, a better one than I would have expected.

P.S. I've been blamed once on a forum for conducting a conversation in French, so I'm replying in English
10-08-2008, 05:27 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Glad you decided to do that because I was going to comment on it. Personally, I don't care but, the subject has come-up before.

If anything make it bilingue SVP.

10-08-2008, 06:24 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Nice shots. I don't know what ISO you shot these at, but it looks like you could easily bump it up a stop to freeze the action even more.
10-08-2008, 06:29 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maxwell1295 Quote
Nice shots. I don't know what ISO you shot these at, but it looks like you could easily bump it up a stop to freeze the action even more.
I was at ISO 400 most of the time. You're right, I could have increased it more, bu to 800 easily without compromising anything. I thought that 1/650 sec was enough, and many times it was, but not always.