Male Superb Fairy-wren
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr

Last edited by RobG; 05-12-2019 at 04:30 PM. Reason: typo
Views: 1,331
05-19-2019, 10:42 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Yes, you guys down under have parrots and cockatiels walking around in your front yard, roosting in your trees. All we have for color here is the Northern male Cardinal, or the Blue Bunting (which has red and yellow stripes on it) and the Blue Jays that quite bright blue, but we have some nice Baltimore Oriels that are quite pretty too, and the American Gold Finch, which in full mature size is bright yellow with black on it's head . Then we have the flickers, and the Red-Bellied woodpecker plus a Pileated Woodpecker, which is quite large and very colorful. So, not all our birds are drab, just the females are. You just have know where to find them there. The ones above I've mentioned, have been in my yard to my feeders and/or to my bird bath.
I captured a few shots of a blue jay very high in a tree and he was not very blue either... thanks drab blue jay, thanks for being boring.

05-20-2019, 04:13 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sherrvonne Quote
I captured a few shots of a blue jay very high in a tree and he was not very blue either... thanks drab blue jay, thanks for being boring.
Come to Australia - lots of non-drab birds.
The Blue Jay I saw in Yosemite was quite colourful though. Maybe there's variation from place to place?
05-20-2019, 08:15 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Come to Australia - lots of non-drab birds.
The Blue Jay I saw in Yosemite was quite colourful though. Maybe there's variation from place to place?
Someday, someday, maybe I’ll get to visit Australia and see some interesting wildlife. So far I did manage to get a cattle dog mix. 😄
05-20-2019, 10:08 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sherrvonne Quote
Someday, someday, maybe I’ll get to visit Australia and see some interesting wildlife. So far I did manage to get a cattle dog mix. 😄
I'd suggest far north Queensland (Cairns region) and Tasmania. That way you'll see very different habitats to Texas. Be warned - Queensland is more than double the size of Texas, and Western Australia is a lot bigger!