Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Mabry Mill With Post
Lens: DA 18-270mm Camera: K-70 Photo Location: Blue Ridge Parkway ISO: 5000 Shutter Speed: 1/160s Aperture: F9 
Posted By: Dale H. Cook, 05-12-2019, 07:28 PM

I am not someone who rushes into post-production of images. When I displayed my Easter Sunday image of Mabry Mill it was posted raw. After living with it for a few weeks I finally decided what I needed to do in post, muting the colors and creating the artistic effect that mirrored what I felt about the scene when I snapped the shutter.

Attached Images

Views: 780
05-17-2019, 01:02 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dale H. Cook Quote
I am not someone who rushes into post-production of images. When I displayed my Easter Sunday image of Mabry Mill it was posted raw. After living with it for a few weeks I finally decided what I needed to do in post, muting the colors and creating the artistic effect that mirrored what I felt about the scene when I snapped the shutter.
Lovely Shot, the kind of place I like to visit.
05-17-2019, 02:13 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh Man!! These types of landscape scenes are one of the many that I truly enjoy. You are correct, you did capture an emotion by telling quite a story with your work. Well done sir and thanks so

much for posting.

TT
05-17-2019, 06:58 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you, folks. For me a photo that just depicts reality is fine for some things, but if I can be somewhat of an artist with a camera I find that much more satisfying.

05-18-2019, 04:33 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think the colours perfectly compliment each other...nice image Dale H. Cook.
05-19-2019, 05:25 AM   #6

Original Poster
I have found that some interesting color shifts can be obtained by using a colored filter over the lens but leaving auto color balance enabled. That pushes the colors back towards neutral but leaves some color shift. The right approach in post is often needed to get a final result that is satisfactory. When I find scenes where I think other colors of filters are worth an experiment I will post the results here, but it may take a while as spring and summer are my busiest seasons at work.
12-27-2019, 04:30 AM   #7

magnificent

01-03-2020, 03:13 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Very peaceful!
01-04-2020, 09:11 PM   #9
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

Your artistic effect works well. For me, it weathers the mill and moves it into the past (before my time). Nicely done. I haven't been to this mill in, well, let's just say, a LONG time, so it being in the further distant past is appropriate. Thanks.
01-05-2020, 07:15 AM   #10

Original Poster
The mill is already weathered - the exterior is gray. My approach was intended to warm that weathered gray to a weathered brown for an artistic image.
01-05-2020, 07:39 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dave B Quote
Lovely Shot, the kind of place I like to visit.
I agree - a peaceful, beautiful photo.

Jer