Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Now you see it ....
Lens: Pentax-DA 55-300mm PLM + 1.4X TC Camera: Pentax KP 
Posted By: reh321, 1 Day Ago

I saw a flash of orange in our back yard, so I went out and sat on the deck for a while. This Oriole was very irritating. He would land on a branch, tweet "I'm here", then take off for another branch. I did eventually manage to 'catch' him.

added: I am fascinated by the coloring of his out-stretched wing.

While that was going on, this other guy was playing the same game closer to me {no, I have no idea what he is; he has the beak of a warbler, but his coloring is very pale}.

Last edited by reh321; 1 Day Ago at 12:41 PM.
Views: 246
1 Day Ago   #2
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A satisfying 'catch' for a bird that doesn't cooperate. I like the third pic - like a police line up profile - of your 'other' subject. Someone will no doubt be able to identify him.
1 Day Ago   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
A satisfying 'catch' for a bird that doesn't cooperate. I like the third pic - like a police line up profile - of your 'other' subject. Someone will no doubt be able to identify him.
Brown creeper. Like a nuthatch except he climbs up not down the trunk
1 Day Ago   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great series. Nice getting the BIF. Number three is definitely a keeper.

1 Day Ago   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yeah birds are notorious for being difficult subjects that give us fits . Of course that successful photo is a great satisfaction.
1 Day Ago   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Love these pics, Reh!

1 Day Ago   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My wife has been feeding Orioles the past few weeks. They seem now to have disappeared, but she is using the same tricks and food to attract catbirds.

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I would have guessed "house wren" which are very common in the Midwest, in spring and summer, especially if you or your neighbors have wren houses. You have to have the right size hole for the wren house so sparrows don't enter. They are very territorial and aggressive toward other wren pairs so you have to maintain distance between bird houses. They consume mosquitoes, and have the greatest singing voices.
1 Day Ago   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mroeder75 Quote
My wife has been feeding Orioles the past few weeks. They seem now to have disappeared, but she is using the same tricks and food to attract catbirds.

I would have guessed "house wren" which are very common in the Midwest, in spring and summer, especially if you or your neighbors have wren houses. You have to have the right size hole for the wren house so sparrows don't enter. They are very territorial and aggressive toward other wren pairs so you have to maintain distance between bird houses. They consume mosquitoes, and have the greatest singing voices.
Actually, on second look you are correct

1 Day Ago   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very nicely done. Kudos on your patience level. Well executed. Thanks for posting.

TT
22 Hours Ago   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nice splash of colour reh321...just looking out the window at some rain soaked magpies jumping between gardens over here.
14 Hours Ago   #11
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mroeder75 Quote
Actually, on second look you are correct
Thank you two for figuring this guy out. I had never seen one until this one, and it has been out there at least twice since then.
14 Hours Ago   #12
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by foxandcrow Quote
Great series. Nice getting the BIF. Number three is definitely a keeper.
QuoteOriginally posted by pichaser Quote
Yeah birds are notorious for being difficult subjects that give us fits . Of course that successful photo is a great satisfaction.
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Love these pics, Reh!
Thank you for your comments. Actually, my favorite is the second - which was a complete accident. I thought I was taking another photo of his singing, and he left as I was pressing the shutter ..... I had to chimp to see what I actually had. The photo I posted is the upper left quadrant crop of my original photo - he was almost out of the frame!
14 Hours Ago   #13
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Very nicely done. Kudos on your patience level. Well executed. Thanks for posting.

TT
Thank you for commenting. I'm retired, so I can afford to occasionally just sit on the deck for awhile - my experience is that birds, even hungry squirrels before the trees leaf out, will come out even with me within sight if I haven't moved much for a period.
14 Hours Ago   #14
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photomax7 Quote
Nice splash of colour reh321...just looking out the window at some rain soaked magpies jumping between gardens over here.
Thank you for commenting.

It was barely dripping when I took these photos - definitely gloomish at times - but the KP definitely came through for me.
13 Hours Ago   #15
Pentaxian

Nice photos, RE! If you want to attract Orioles put out an easily accessible hummingbird feeder with a large enough perch for the Orioles and they will flock to it to get a sip of the sweet liquid. They also love a half peeled navel orange hung from a tree branch on a wire coat hanger for a perch. If you have nesting Orioles nearby they should come to the feeders. I concur that is a house wren....they are very loud early in the morning.