Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10 Likes  #1
St. Michael's Mount, sunset
Lens: Voigtlander 15mm Camera: Hasselblad X1D ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 6s Aperture: F16 
Posted By: The Madshutter, 05-24-2019, 01:57 PM

St. Michael's Mount, in Cornwall, is a tidal island connected by a walkway that gets completely submerged at high tide. Sunset shot taken with my Hasselblad X1D, Voigtlander 15mm Super Wide-Heliar v. III and Formatt-Hitech Firecrest Ultra filters.

Thank you for viewing, best regards

Vieri
Views: 909
05-24-2019, 03:13 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
Very nice shot.
05-24-2019, 07:34 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lovely evening light, well done! I also learned something today - I've been to Mont St Michel in Normandy, but I didn't know that there was one in Cornwall! (and I've been to Cornwall, but it was Tintagel we visited)
05-25-2019, 11:17 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Reminds me of the Yellow Brick Road leading to Oz. Cool shot, Vieri.

Jer

05-25-2019, 12:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Perfect composition and light nails the scene. Remarkable how well the voigtlander seems to work on large sensor.
05-25-2019, 02:48 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Very nice. What camera do you prefer ...the Hasselblad or your Leica ?
05-26-2019, 02:56 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dave B Quote
Very nice shot.
Thank you very much Dave!

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Lovely evening light, well done! I also learned something today - I've been to Mont St Michel in Normandy, but I didn't know that there was one in Cornwall! (and I've been to Cornwall, but it was Tintagel we visited)
Thank you very much Rob, glad you enjoyed it! Yes, it seems that any tidal island on the Channel should be dedicated to St. Michael!

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Reminds me of the Yellow Brick Road leading to Oz. Cool shot, Vieri.

Jer
Thank you very much Jer, I am glad you enjoyed it!

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
Perfect composition and light nails the scene. Remarkable how well the voigtlander seems to work on large sensor.
Thank you very much indeed! Yes, it is truly surprising how great the little Voigt 15mm is on the MF sensors, and it also covers quite a large image circle for such a physically small wide-angle lens, see here for a completely unedited and non-cropped shot with it:

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Very nice. What camera do you prefer ...the Hasselblad or your Leica ?
Thank you very much Les, glad you liked it! About your question, most definitely the Hasselblad X1D, no questions. If you are interested, see here for the end of my relationship with Leica:

A NEW CHAPTER: FAREWELL LEICA | Vieri Bottazzini Photographer

and here for my review of the Hasselblad X1D:

IN-DEPTH HASSELBLAD X1D REVIEW | Vieri Bottazzini Photographer

Best regards,

Vieri

05-26-2019, 10:49 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Thanks Vieri for the links. Your review of the Hasselblad you now use, is very thorough, analytical and well done.

You provide a clear rationale as to why you use the medium format Hassleblad and given your work, I would agree that medium format is a wise choice.

I've never had or used a Hasselblad, but back in the film days, aside from Pentax SLR's, I had both (still have) a 35mm Leica Rangefinder (old screw mount 11f) and a Mamiya 220 Pro F TLR with 65mm w/a, 80 normal and 180 telephoto. Over the years, continuing to thos day, I've enjoyed both the Leica and the Mamiya and at one time was considering the Pentax 645 medium format digital, but in the end went with the K1, which I find for my purposes an excellent piece of equipment.

I am always impressed with your work and would say that you are proof that excellent work, is more about the talent of the photographer than the equipment. However I can well understand why you need and use the equipment you have chosen, for your professional work.

Les
05-26-2019, 11:10 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Thanks Vieri for the links. Your review of the Hasselblad you now use, is very thorough, analytical and well done.

You provide a clear rationale as to why you use the medium format Hassleblad and given your work, I would agree that medium format is a wise choice.

I've never had or used a Hasselblad, but back in the film days, aside from Pentax SLR's, I had both (still have) a 35mm Leica Rangefinder (old screw mount 11f) and a Mamiya 220 Pro F TLR with 65mm w/a, 80 normal and 180 telephoto. Over the years, continuing to thos day, I've enjoyed both the Leica and the Mamiya and at one time was considering the Pentax 645 medium format digital, but in the end went with the K1, which I find for my purposes an excellent piece of equipment.

I am always impressed with your work and would say that you are proof that excellent work, is more about the talent of the photographer than the equipment. However I can well understand why you need and use the equipment you have chosen, for your professional work.

Les
Hello Les,

you are very welcome, glad to be of help. Thank you as well for your continuing support of my work and for your kind words, much appreciated indeed. About gear, I think that your approach makes a lot of sense - I also believe that anyone's needs and requirements are so different that it would just be nonsense to try and convince someone of the superiority of something vs something else. I.e., the X1D to me is a perfect landscape camera, but I would never use it for your kids soccer game or something of that sort We see too much of the "brand X is better than brand Y" online, most of the times based on nothing but the fact that "brand X is the one I use so it's the best", and personally when photography and gear choice becomes like football / soccer fanboyism then I lose interest in discussions real fast

Thanks again, best regards

Vieri
05-27-2019, 04:07 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Great shot!
05-27-2019, 04:57 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Magical photograph!
05-29-2019, 08:20 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Janse Quote
Great shot!
Thank you very much Jane, glad you enjoyed it!

QuoteOriginally posted by Riggomatic Quote
Magical photograph!
Thank you very much indeed David, glad you liked it!

Best regards,

Vieri