Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Pentax K-5 Mounted With Tamron 70-200MM 2.8 Macro (Starling in Flight)
Lens: Tamron 70-200MM 2.8 Macro Camera: Pentax K-5 Photo Location: Porter, IN ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/2000s Aperture: F2.8 
Posted By: Lmcfarrin, 05-25-2019, 09:34 PM

Starling in flight.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Views: 183
05-25-2019, 09:45 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great job, beautifully done. Thanks for posting.

TT
05-25-2019, 09:46 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
... another shot

---------- Post added 05-25-19 at 09:48 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Great job, beautifully done. Thanks for posting.

TT
Thanks. After this shot im seriously considering getting the KP.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
05-26-2019, 03:57 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I was asked the following by a site supporter:

"Q itJust wanted to tell you, the two images, they are fantastic!

And wanted to ask you, how did you manage to nail it that nicely.

Was it on continuous AF?

The camera and the lens' AF could manage to track the bird in flight?

Asking because am looking to get a 70-200 / 80-200 f2.8 class of lens, and still mulling over a number of choices, which includes these >>

A) Sigma 70-200 APO EX
B) Tamron 70-200
C) Sigma 70-200 APO EX DG Macro HSM-II.
D) Pentax FA* 80-200
E) Pentax DFA 70-200

naturally, the Tamron is fantastic in terms of cost and weight (not too weighty, just right).

Really fantastic shots there."

My Answer:

As I am only interested in capturing birds in flight photos of birds that do not fly on a rhythmic pattern and are very elusive, for the past 4 years I have been evolving a photo capture technique that DOES NOT INVOLVE AUTO FOCUS. ALL OF MY SHOTS ARE MANUAL FOCUS even when I use auto focusing lenses. Even if I wanted to use the Tamron's 70-200mm Macro's AF it wouldnt work. Macro lenses are made to to precisely focus and therefore may not have snappy AF lock. I would not recommend a macro lens for birds in flight.

My method revolves around the following:

- you have to be able to capture the image first, worry about imperfections second (noise, etc)
- extreme patience
- a familiarization of birds' habits in regards to approach and departure from feeder. Because back yard birds are so small, so fast, and their appearance unpredictable, capturing extravagant angled shots I've found AF to not be possible. Because I only use MF I can use ANY LENS I DESIRE (50MM +). I prefer fast lenses with the least amount of glass elements. Because I shoot in ALL weather lighting conditions can change rapidly. Mere cloud cover can drastically effect iso. Because I usually use 1/1600 and 1/2000 shutter speeds to freeze motion of back yard birds, I prefer 2.8 aperture or faster. However, the trade off is alot of time the whole bird may not be in focus. I try not to use beyond F4 and therefore dont desire lenses like 50-200 or 55-300.
- I use up to 6 cameras, tripods, with each containing wireless triggers. I create a Focus Trap (pre-focus) based on the familiarization of a particular bird
- use of a hide (my house)
- I custom make my feeders that can be moved around throughout my yard to a desired location.
- Type of camera is personal preference, but I RECOMMEND CAMERA THAT MANAGES 6400 ISO WELL, HAS AT LEAST A TILT SCREEN, AND A MINIMUM 10FPS BURST RATE (the faster, the more opportunity at keepers). M43 cameras work very well because you get 2x focal length when you adapt an aps c or full frame lens (a 105mm lens projects the distance and field of view of 210mm).

..... thats the short answer :-)

Last edited by Lmcfarrin; 05-26-2019 at 04:06 AM.