Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Shades of Tom Sawyer
Posted By: slowpez, 10-07-2008, 01:17 PM

We were stuck in Georgia this month due to the failure of the gas supply but the area couldn't have been more beautiful.
This pic had the highlights blown in the upper left but it turned out to be better once converted to B&W then cropped.

This was the view we had to "suffer" with for 10 days. The early morning fog really made it beautiful.

Of course, we had just left places like this in North Carolina.

As always, C&C is welcomed any time. Would love to have opinions especially on salvaging the first one and cropping some of the sky on the second.
Susan
Views: 1,275
10-07-2008, 01:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like the 3rd one most. Waterfall looks amazing!
10-07-2008, 01:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Very beautiful scenes, Susan! I like the B&W and the last water fall photo very much!
10-07-2008, 01:47 PM   #4
Damn Brit

Hi Susan, I was wondering where you had been.

The first one is a nice candid shot of boys playing at the waterhole. I don't think there is anything you can do to make it better. Maybe you could work with the contrast to make more of the shot blown out so that it extends across the shot, high key effect might look good. Other than that, just tell people it's a picture of your grandfather when he was a boy.

#2 you could crop to just below the top of the treeline, remove the sky altogether and make the shot more of a square.

#3 is a nice shot, you captured the water well, could do with being a bit brighter.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 10-08-2008 at 11:57 AM.
10-07-2008, 01:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Really cool.

You got the lighting perfect in the first shot
10-08-2008, 12:09 AM   #6
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice series, I think the "suffering" was well worth it
10-08-2008, 04:07 AM   #7
JMR
Veteran Member

Very nice. Especially like the three boys. Your shots have improved tremendously.

JMR

10-08-2008, 04:37 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
We were stuck in Georgia this month due to the failure of the gas supply ...
Nice pics - great B&W conversion; the waterfall is very cool!

Ok - I give - what does that statement mean? I don't mean to sound ignorant but is there a shortage of petroleum products (gasoline and diesel) in Georgia?
10-08-2008, 08:26 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your kind comments. I have really been working hard on my photography and am finally seeing a little improvement. So far to go yet.

JMR, thanks for noticing.
Gary, as always you have some good suggestions. We were gone almost a month and have come back home to get a few things done before going off again at the end of this month.
Thanks roentarre, axl, gawan for your comments.
Nitrok, I am still working on getting that creamy water effect that so many others seem to have managed. Hard work but again, I do see some improvement. Lots of water falls to take pictures of this past trip too.

J. Scott, due to the recent back-to-back hurricanes that hit the gulf coast, the refineries had to shut down. Minimal damage but evidently, lack of electricity and other things made the flow of gas into the SE US scarce. Georgia and several other sections of the SE depend completely on those Texas pipelines. We were lucky in that we had such a beautiful spot to wait it out. Gas is still a problem, even in South Carolina, but improving each day.
10-08-2008, 08:26 AM   #10
Veteran Member

nice series, Susan
I think you did a fine job "salvaging" the first shot. I might crop #2 as Gary suggested.