Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
6 Likes  #1
Threading the Needle
Photo Location: My Colorado Backyard 
Posted By: Colorado CJ, 05-31-2019, 08:18 PM

We finally had a clear night last night, so I shot the Needle Galaxy (NGC 4565).

This is an excellent example of an edge on spiral galaxy. It is almost exactly edge on with us, showing the core of the galaxy being sliced in half.

I was only able to shoot a total of 3 hours on this subject. I plan on going back at a later date to add more data so I can get a more detailed, clearer image.

Last night was a test of sorts as I ran everything (mount, guiding, camera, plate solving) with just a tiny Raspberry Pi and a battery system I built. I wanted to get a setup that is able to be run fully off of a small deep cycle battery. The 35 Amp Hour battery that I am using should be able to run the full imaging setup for two nights before needing to be charged.

This will make for a great setup to take to the mountains and to some truly dark sites. I plan on taking this the Chaco Canyon shortly.

Anyway, on to the image.

This was shot using the following equipment:

Skywatcher MN190 Mak Newt (1000mm F5.2)
ZWO ASI 183MM Pro Imaging Camera
Astrodon LRGB Filters
EQ6-R Pro Equatorial Mount
ZWO ASI120MC-S Guide Camera
ZWO ASIAIR (Raspberry Pi imaging computer)

Luminance: 60 minutes
Red: 37.5 minutes
Green: 42 minutes
Blue: 42 minutes

Views: 987
06-01-2019, 02:21 AM   #2
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another nice one. Good luck at Chaco. Dark skies aside, the feeling there is just awesome. There is nothing quite like standing in the Great Kiva at sunset.
06-01-2019, 09:03 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What a great photo. A reminder of our greater insignificance. There must be other advanced civilizations somewhere, or is ours, as improbable as it seems, the first, waiting on others to catch up?
06-01-2019, 10:44 PM   #4
Pentaxian

That is super cool.

01-06-2020, 07:15 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Colorado CJ Quote
We finally had a clear night last night, so I shot the Needle Galaxy (NGC 4565).

This is an excellent example of an edge on spiral galaxy. It is almost exactly edge on with us, showing the core of the galaxy being sliced in half.

I was only able to shoot a total of 3 hours on this subject. I plan on going back at a later date to add more data so I can get a more detailed, clearer image.

Last night was a test of sorts as I ran everything (mount, guiding, camera, plate solving) with just a tiny Raspberry Pi and a battery system I built. I wanted to get a setup that is able to be run fully off of a small deep cycle battery. The 35 Amp Hour battery that I am using should be able to run the full imaging setup for two nights before needing to be charged.

This will make for a great setup to take to the mountains and to some truly dark sites. I plan on taking this the Chaco Canyon shortly.

Anyway, on to the image.

Astrodon LRGB Filters

Outstanding!
06-25-2021, 11:24 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Colorado CJ Quote

Anyway, on to the image.

Astrodon LRGB Filters

Marvellous !
12-13-2021, 02:36 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like to think that there is someone over there taking a photo of us