Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
6 Likes  #1
"Cash on the Hood" . . . . . . .
Lens: DFA 28-105 Camera: K-1 Photo Location: Seabrook, TX ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/180s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: Sailor, 06-03-2019, 10:26 AM

. . . . . is auto industry slang for rebates and other incentives that manufacturers apply to various models to stimulate sales. In the case of this prewar vehicle (I've forgotten the marque), the manufacturer actually spent some cash to decorate the hood.

Jer

Views: 719
06-03-2019, 12:54 PM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Very nice, Jer. Monochrome was a good choice here, and the processing is just right.

Up until maybe the late 60s, custom hood ornaments were quite a thing over here in the UK. Not prolific, mind you, but a number of folks bought and fitted them to express their individuality - usually on the top of the grille, the leading edge of the hood, or sometimes set back towards the middle of the hood. Some of them are quite collectable now, and fetch surprising amounts at auction - especially those produced by recognised artists...
06-03-2019, 02:35 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice capture.

tt
06-03-2019, 03:28 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very well spotted and captured.

06-03-2019, 07:33 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great shot, ditto on the Monochrome, it really makes it.
06-04-2019, 06:15 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you're going to shoot money, you should do with a money camera. Which you did. TFS Jer.
06-04-2019, 09:49 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Very nice, Jer. Monochrome was a good choice here, and the processing is just right.

Up until maybe the late 60s, custom hood ornaments were quite a thing over here in the UK. Not prolific, mind you, but a number of folks bought and fitted them to express their individuality - usually on the top of the grille, the leading edge of the hood, or sometimes set back towards the middle of the hood. Some of them are quite collectable now, and fetch surprising amounts at auction - especially those produced by recognised artists...
Thanks much, Mike. In the '50s, when I was in primary school, most American manufacturers used hood ornaments. They disappeared for a while, then re-emerged in the '70s for awhile. It's interesting how styling approaches come, go and come back again.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Very nice capture.

tt
Thanks, Tony.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Very well spotted and captured.
I appreciate the nice words, EM.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by foxandcrow Quote
Great shot, ditto on the Monochrome, it really makes it.
Thanks very much!

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
If you're going to shoot money, you should do with a money camera. Which you did. TFS Jer.
Hey Mar - yeah the K-1/ DFA 28-105 is a dynamite combo for auto photography. Thanks for looking.

Jer

06-04-2019, 10:03 AM - 1 Like   #8

The ornament dates back to 1927, and used until 1936 by Lincoln and later Ford. It was designed by none other than Henry Ford's son, Edsel.

"So now you know the rest of the story." - Paul Harvey

I really like the image. Well done, sir. If it were mine, it would be printed, framed, and hung prominently on a wall in my home. Definitely a keeper!

- Arved
(Awaiting delivery of my first Pentax in over 40 years)
06-04-2019, 11:57 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A great shot my friend! Good decision to go for B&W!
06-05-2019, 07:07 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arved Quote
The ornament dates back to 1927, and used until 1936 by Lincoln and later Ford. It was designed by none other than Henry Ford's son, Edsel.

"So now you know the rest of the story." - Paul Harvey

I really like the image. Well done, sir. If it were mine, it would be printed, framed, and hung prominently on a wall in my home. Definitely a keeper!

- Arved
(Awaiting delivery of my first Pentax in over 40 years)
Thanks for the very kind words about the photo and your info regarding the ornament, Arved.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
A great shot my friend! Good decision to go for B&W!
Thanks much, buddy!

Jer
06-11-2019, 01:52 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Well done Jer. Both you and me like the B&W medium I think. :-)
06-11-2019, 06:21 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Janse Quote
Well done Jer. Both you and me like the B&W medium I think. :-)
Thanks, Janse. And, yes, I think we're both enamored with B&W.

Jer