Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Crunch - Paddy's Hole, South Gare, Redcar, Cleveland UK
Lens: smc Pentax-DA 50mm 1.8 Camera: Pentax K1 Photo Location: Paddy's Hole ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F10 
Posted By: Sunburn, 06-10-2019, 03:42 PM

Its been a while, and I have been if'ng and ah'ng on this image, between a crunchy colour image, a black and white, and a cinematic esk style (which i'm trying to resist at the risk of over doing it) - So with a departure from my usual stylle, I have gone for a punch in your face style...

South Gare is an area of reclaimed land and breakwater on the southern side of the mouth of the River Tees in Redcar and Cleveland, England.

Paddy's Hole is a small harbour constructed from slag in the lagoon on the Teesmouth side of South Gare. It is named Paddy's Hole because of the many Irishmen who helped build the South Gare

This inlet of the river provides a safe haven for small boats and fishing craft which are left high and dry in the mud at low tide.

However, the surrounding area is such a mix of contrasts. Teesport, oil refineries and chemical plants on the near horizon, sweeping views south across the sands to Redcar and the North Yorkshire coast and cliffs or north to Hartlepool and the Headland, the open sea, the river, sand dunes and mud flats, ships, small boats, fishermen’s huts, a lifeboat station, wildlife, birds and fauna and Eston’s ironstone hills on the far horizon and so much more...

Larger size image can be seen here > Crunch - Paddy's Hole South Gare Redcar | South Gare is an a? | Flickr

Attached Images

Views: 362
06-10-2019, 04:53 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Wonderful photograph.
06-11-2019, 06:37 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This is a terrific photo! I like the punchy look and the composition - combining an industrial backdrop with the colorful boats - is exceptional.

Jer
06-14-2019, 06:49 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Wonderful photograph.
Thank you Lesmore49 and Sailor. As I mentioned this image is quite a departure from my normal style, but I kinda like it. I think I'll post the B&W version at some point as I feel that might be the stronger image of the two. Anyways thank you for taking the time to comment.

06-14-2019, 08:20 AM   #5
Pentaxian

That's a very good photo. Your processing worked well. More importantly, it's a good composition.

It seems unusual to anchor in such a shallow location. They can only depart at high tide, and if they are already out of the harbor they can only return during the next high tide. Have a need to return early ... nope, wait 6 hours until the harbor refills.
06-14-2019, 09:51 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Meant to mention that your photograph reminded me of a Popeye scene and I mean that in a good way. The lighting and clouds really add to the wonderful composition. As you can tell I really like this photo...I keep on coming back to it.
06-14-2019, 10:12 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What a super image. I look forward to your B&W version too but can't imagine it surpassing this one. Perfectly captured and perfectly processed.
06-21-2019, 07:01 AM   #8

Original Poster
@deadJohn: Thank you. I thought the same as you, but i'm unsure if these boats are used occasionally rather than daily. Although there were many people milling about when I took the shot, this spot specifically was very quiet apart from a couple of well weather chaps, sitting on bricks enjoying a smoke about 40 meters to my right.... I didn't like to interrupt, I suspect my midlands accent would have given them some pause anyways

@lesmore49: Thank you again, I have a Marina local to where i live that might offer further experimentation, I'll need to plan something in.

@slowpez: Thank you - I'll post in inline in this thread if that suits, I think it will hold its own

Thank you for the comments guys, very much appreciated.

Regards
Geoff