Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Early explorations with a 10x-40x trinocular microscope and my Pentax K-r
Lens: Boreal Trinocular Microscope Camera: Pentax K-r ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/125s 
Posted By: Philoslothical, 06-13-2019, 03:50 PM

I recently purchased a used microscope, and I'm pretty blown away by how much it can advance macro photography, or photomicroscopy, or whatever we want to call it. The low magnification range coupled with using an APS-C sensor on an improvised adapter feels more like macro than micro, to me, but that is not a complaint.

These are also my first attempts at focus stacking. I'm aware of the dust tracks in a couple of them, but I left them for a couple of reasons. I'm using Zerene stacker for this, and it's very nice.

Lichens are nice.

Dandelion flower.

A bit of moss, unknown species. It's fine and soft to the touch.

African violet flower petals.

Begonia flower center.

Osprey feather, crop.

Another shot of the osprey feather, showing the quill and afterfeather (the fine down that forms around the shaft of the feather). I spent awhile on this one, it's a personal favourite, but I don't know quite why. Note, the small yellow objects are living feather mites, going about their day.

I'd like to chat about technique with anybody who is doing stuff like this, or has done so in the past. I'm using very basic and improvised equipment, with my ring flash mounted near the microscope stage. It's an awful lot of fun. Microscopes can be cheaper than many lenses... just enabling - err, spreading the interest. I'm also happy to answer questions about this stuff, to the best of my knowledge, but to be clear I'm learning it, too. I'm currently not sure of the precise magnification I'm getting with the camera at each step of magnification, but it is comparable to the field of view provided by the eyepieces. I'll have to shoot a ruler sometime soon, so I can figure out how much to alter the extension I'm using.

I haven't posted here in a long time, so if I've made any errors please let me know.

Last edited by Philoslothical; 06-13-2019 at 07:30 PM.
Views: 820
06-14-2019, 10:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How interesting these are. I love the dandelion and the African Violet especially. So much detail in all of them.
06-15-2019, 05:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, and sorry for the late reply. Busy time of year, I hope to post more soon though.