Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Dejima
Lens: Tamron 17-50 f2.8 Camera: K3 Photo Location: Nagasaki, Japan ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/50s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: RobG, 06-14-2019, 04:31 AM

During the Edo period, the only Western country allowed to trade with Japan was Holland, through the Dutch East India Company. The only place they were allowed to operate was a tiny artificial island in Nagasaki. Some of the buildings from the Meiji period have been retained, and some of the buildings of the Edo period have been reconstructed. The island is no longer surrounded by water, but the reconstructions give an idea of what it was like for the Dutch who lived there. They were rarely allowed to step off the island. The man in the photo is dressed as a Japanese pilgrim. Pilgrimages were popular in the Edo period because it was the only opportunity that common folk had for a holiday.

Dejima
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr

---------- Post added 14-06-19 at 09:49 PM ----------

Two of the products traded from Japan back to Batavia (Java) and Europe by the Dutch East India Company between 1641 and 1847 were Sake (rice wine) and Soy Sauce, These are original containers which were found at Dejima.

Sake and Soy Sauce

---------- Post added 14-06-19 at 10:03 PM ----------

The Opperhoofd was the most senior official of the Dutch East India Company in Dejima. This reconstruction of his quarters features a curious mix of 18th century Dutch furniture and Japanese room design including rice paper windows and screens as well as tatami mats.

The Opperhoofd's Quarters

---------- Post added 14-06-19 at 10:11 PM ----------

At Dejima you can hire traditional Japanese clothing then take your own photos.

Traditional dress in a traditional scene
Views: 295
06-15-2019, 09:17 AM   #2
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
During the Edo period, the only Western country allowed to trade with Japan was Holland, through the Dutch East India Company. The only place they were allowed to operate was a tiny artificial island in Nagasaki. Some of the buildings from the Meiji period have been retained, and some of the buildings of the Edo period have been reconstructed. The island is no longer surrounded by water, but the reconstructions give an idea of what it was like for the Dutch who lived there. They were rarely allowed to step off the island. The man in the photo is dressed as a Japanese pilgrim. Pilgrimages were popular in the Edo period because it was the only opportunity that common folk had for a holiday.
Nice view of history revisited.
06-15-2019, 04:12 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Nice view of history revisited.
Thanks! One of the surprising facts about Dejima is that for a time, it was the only place in the world flying the Dutch flag. Holland was invaded by France, and Batavia was taken over by the British!
06-15-2019, 10:32 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Awesome and interesting series. Thank you so much.

TT

06-16-2019, 04:06 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Awesome and interesting series. Thank you so much.
Thanks Tony!
06-16-2019, 04:50 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Fascinating - a piece history I've long forgotten . . . . . . if I ever knew it.

Good stuff, Rob!

Jer
06-16-2019, 06:37 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Fascinating - a piece history I've long forgotten . . . . . . if I ever knew it.
Good stuff, Rob!
Thanks Jer! It's certainly not a piece of history that I was taught in school. After I read about it, I really wanted to see the place. Just as well I waited because many of the reconstructed buildings are quite recent.