Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
6 Likes  #1
Portal to a Better Place
Lens: Pentax HD DA20-40 @ 31mm Camera: Pentax K-3 Photo Location: Kielder Forest Drive, Northumberland, England ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/60s Aperture: F11 
Posted By: BigMackCam, 06-14-2019, 03:55 PM

At or near the peak of Kielder Forest Drive - a 12 mile unsurfaced road from Kielder Castle in the west to Blakehopeburnhaugh in the east - is a somewhat-inexplicable timber "sit in" art installation. This is the view through it (processed, of course), representing - to me - a portal from one place to a better place. Lonely and bleak, yet positive and uplifting

All processing carried out in Darktable...

Note: I continue to try to like the HD DA20-40 more than I've managed to previously. I'm getting there... slowly. Stopped down - as in this case - it certainly can produce some compelling images...

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 


Last edited by BigMackCam; 06-14-2019 at 05:07 PM.
Views: 447
06-14-2019, 07:44 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Sailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Coastal Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 21,032
Passing through the pentagon to another world. Very cool, Mike.

The pentagon shape of the "final" doorway reminds me of the portals - designed for a species called the Krell - in the classic science fiction movie, "Forbidden Planet."

Jer
06-15-2019, 07:03 AM   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North-East of England
Posts: 12,966
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Passing through the pentagon to another world. Very cool, Mike.

The pentagon shape of the "final" doorway reminds me of the portals - designed for a species called the Krell - in the classic science fiction movie, "Forbidden Planet."
Thank you kindly, Jer

It's a looong time since I saw that film... I would have been a kid. But I think I remember the pentagonal portal thing
06-15-2019, 08:56 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 5,676
I too like the use of the word 'portal' in describing this photograph...it does seem like an entrance to another world and I bet, especially.... during a dark and stormy night.

I really like the angle of your photo of this bridge and to me the design seems out of the ordinary. Quite a beautiful design .

My wife and I just came back from a trip to Alberta and came across a heritage site of an old (for Canada), no longer in use aqueduct that had been built at the turn of the last century by the Canadian Pacific Railway.

The architectural structure was exceptional, strikingly symmetrical ...the lines, to me, reminiscent of the much older Roman Aqueducts. In any event, historical or otherwise , I spent some time photographing various angles.

06-15-2019, 04:40 PM - 1 Like   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North-East of England
Posts: 12,966
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I too like the use of the word 'portal' in describing this photograph...it does seem like an entrance to another world and I bet, especially.... during a dark and stormy night.
Agreed - I'll bet a lightning strike at the end of the tunnel would look fantastic!

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I really like the angle of your photo of this bridge and to me the design seems out of the ordinary. Quite a beautiful design .
Thank you It's an odd structure - intentionally situated in an expanse of otherwise architecture-free forest and scrub-land. It definitely grabs one's attention

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
My wife and I just came back from a trip to Alberta and came across a heritage site of an old (for Canada), no longer in use aqueduct that had been built at the turn of the last century by the Canadian Pacific Railway.

The architectural structure was exceptional, strikingly symmetrical ...the lines, to me, reminiscent of the much older Roman Aqueducts. In any event, historical or otherwise , I spent some time photographing various angles.
Sounds wonderful. We have a lovely old mid-Victorian-era red brick viaduct running across the gentle valley in which my town centre resides. It's still in use as a railway bridge. Wikipedia photo here:

Chester Burn viaduct - Wikipedia
06-15-2019, 05:16 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 5,676
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Agreed - I'll bet a lightning strike at the end of the tunnel would look fantastic!



Thank you It's an odd structure - intentionally situated in an expanse of otherwise architecture-free forest and scrub-land. It definitely grabs one's attention



Sounds wonderful. We have a lovely old mid-Victorian-era red brick viaduct running across the gentle valley in which my town centre resides. It's still in use as a railway bridge. Wikipedia photo here:

Chester Burn viaduct - Wikipedia

Here's the Brooks, Alberta Aqueduct, where we were at. I lived in Alberta for awhile. Quite a province, lots to do, lots to see.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact...WsgaAKmjCXHgde

The Brooks area also seems to have a fair number of rodeo riders come from this general region.
06-16-2019, 06:21 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
slowpez's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South Carolina, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 18,014
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
At or near the peak of Kielder Forest Drive - a 12 mile unsurfaced road from Kielder Castle in the west to Blakehopeburnhaugh in the east - is a somewhat-inexplicable timber "sit in" art installation. This is the view through it (processed, of course), representing - to me - a portal from one place to a better place. Lonely and bleak, yet positive and uplifting

All processing carried out in Darktable...

Note: I continue to try to like the HD DA20-40 more than I've managed to previously. I'm getting there... slowly. Stopped down - as in this case - it certainly can produce some compelling images...
I love the lines. Makes me tilt my head to one side then the other and ultimately bring it back to center to admire the view.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, photo, portal
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax brand portal Kunzite Pentax News and Rumors 19 02-27-2019 10:51 PM
Portal to The Great Lakes honey bo bo Monthly Photo Contests 2 07-09-2018 12:10 PM
Portal to fantasia Penumbra Monthly Photo Contests 4 12-16-2017 02:53 AM
Misc Portal themed image. Usuqa Post Your Photos! 3 04-19-2011 04:01 AM
Misc Through the Portal eaglem Post Your Photos! 9 01-01-2011 09:51 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:48 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top