Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Compressed Carrera
Lens: DA*300/4 Camera: K-1 Photo Location: Lake Jackson, TX ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/750s Aperture: F9.5 
Posted By: Sailor, 06-15-2019, 06:52 AM

While walking back to my car after a largely unsuccessful search for birds to photograph in a small, local wetlands area, I fired this shot of the vehicle prior to hopping in, putting the top down and driving off. This picture demonstrates the effects of compression on photos of cars (or other stuff for that matter) taken at a distance with a long lens. With encouragement and advice from clackers and lesmore49, I really studied using the effect of compression by shooting my little Bimmer in a location well suited to that effort. I plan to do the same thing with my 911 at a better location and when the car is cleaner, but this pic will have to do until then.

Jer


Views: 562
06-15-2019, 06:57 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
photolady95's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cruising the forum watching his back
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,621
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
putting the top down and driving off.
no, no, no. You put the top down and roar off! Don't you know how to drive your cars Jer?
06-15-2019, 03:39 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Sailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Coastal Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 22,770
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
no, no, no. You put the top down and roar off! Don't you know how to drive your cars Jer?
Guilty as charged, Mar. Sort of . . . . . .

I do know how to drive 'em . . . . . . . when safely removed from the local constabulary. Also, I can tell you that there's no mechanical sound more sublime than the snarl of a normally aspirated Porsche flat 6 turning over at about 6500 rpm.

Jer
06-15-2019, 03:48 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
eaglem's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Perth Western Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 35,187
Looks like the same colour as my GT Mustang which is called "Magnetic" and is a mid grey with metallic fleck in it. I rather like it.

06-15-2019, 04:02 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North-East of England
Posts: 15,462
Very nice, Jer... both the photo and the car (I love the licence plate ).

Compression and elongation - based on lens to subject distance - can certainly be used to great and hugely differing effect, and automobiles are a great subject matter for this. For me, distant shots with a long lens - as in this example - provide a nice appreciation of the subject in its entirety. Close-up shots with a wide angle lens offer the opportunity to concentrate on, or accentuate, certain features. Both have equally valid, yet very different, benefits and applications
06-15-2019, 05:31 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 7,612
Nice shot of your Porsche. The compression of a long lens gives the subject a bit of a 3D look. Also like your personalized license plate...'flat Six' . I bet 6500 rpm ...even..in first gear..would be pretty quick.

Reminds me of a story I read, back in the 1960's. Apparently a guy was driving his new '63 Corvette split window coupe ( a favourite of mine) , fuel injection, 327, on the interstate and really flying on the highway.

Eventually he was stopped by a state police roadblock and when a state trooper questioned him as to why he was going at approximately 140 mph +...he replied quite shocked...why no officer I was just going the speed limit...65 mph. The trooper asked him to point out which dial on the Corvette's dash was the speedometer ...and he pointed to the tachometer.

Now whether this story was... apocryphal ...I cannot say.

Les
06-16-2019, 05:04 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Sailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Coastal Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 22,770
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Looks like the same colour as my GT Mustang which is called "Magnetic" and is a mid grey with metallic fleck in it. I rather like it.
You're right, EM - Porsche's Agate Grey is pretty close to Magnetic - maybe has a bit more brown.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Very nice, Jer... both the photo and the car (I love the licence plate ).

Compression and elongation - based on lens to subject distance - can certainly be used to great and hugely differing effect, and automobiles are a great subject matter for this. For me, distant shots with a long lens - as in this example - provide a nice appreciation of the subject in its entirety. Close-up shots with a wide angle lens offer the opportunity to concentrate on, or accentuate, certain features. Both have equally valid, yet very different, benefits and applications
Thanks Mike. And congrats on catching on to the plate!

And I agree with your analysis completely - well said.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Nice shot of your Porsche. The compression of a long lens gives the subject a bit of a 3D look. Also like your personalized license plate...'flat Six' . I bet 6500 rpm ...even..in first gear..would be pretty quick.

Reminds me of a story I read, back in the 1960's. Apparently a guy was driving his new '63 Corvette split window coupe ( a favourite of mine) , fuel injection, 327, on the interstate and really flying on the highway.

Eventually he was stopped by a state police roadblock and when a state trooper questioned him as to why he was going at approximately 140 mph +...he replied quite shocked...why no officer I was just going the speed limit...65 mph. The trooper asked him to point out which dial on the Corvette's dash was the speedometer ...and he pointed to the tachometer.

Now whether this story was... apocryphal ...I cannot say.

Les
Hey, Les - thanks and great story.

I've got another one you might appreciate:

A man hired a painter to paint the front porch on his house. Unbeknownst to the man, the painter was drunk yet proceeded to go to work. When he was finished, he walked around the house to the back door. When the home owner opened the door, the drunken painter said: *All done, looks great but . . . . . . . . . you should know, that ain't no porch, it's a Ferrari."

Jer
06-16-2019, 10:04 AM   #8
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 7,612
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
You're right, EM - Porsche's Agate Grey is pretty close to Magnetic - maybe has a bit more brown.

Jer



Thanks Mike. And congrats on catching on to the plate!

And I agree with your analysis completely - well said.

Jer



Hey, Les - thanks and great story.

I've got another one you might appreciate:

A man hired a painter to paint the front porch on his house. Unbeknownst to the man, the painter was drunk yet proceeded to go to work. When he was finished, he walked around the house to the back door. When the home owner opened the door, the drunken painter said: *All done, looks great but . . . . . . . . . you should know, that ain't no porch, it's a Ferrari."

Jer
Jer,

Good one. Funny story, but boy, hope there isn't the element of truth to that...ouch...

Les

06-16-2019, 11:34 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
volley's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Springe
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,140
A great example of "compressed perspective" Jer! ... and man, that's a good looking car!!
06-16-2019, 05:29 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Sailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Coastal Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 22,770
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Jer,

Good one. Funny story, but boy, hope there isn't the element of truth to that...ouch...

Les
Just the thought scares the hell outta me!

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
A great example of "compressed perspective" Jer! ... and man, that's a good looking car!!
Thanks much, Norbert!! I can't believe I've owned it for three years. I love it more now than the day I bought it.

Jer
06-16-2019, 05:40 PM - 1 Like   #11
MSL
Pentaxian
MSL's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Greater Toronto Area
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,713
It is this sort of photo that gives me severe CAMERA envy [grin].
06-17-2019, 12:39 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Sailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Coastal Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 22,770
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
It is this sort of photo that gives me severe CAMERA envy [grin].


You know, I think a CAMERA is a camera with a . . . . . fast . . . . . lens.

Jer
06-21-2019, 02:36 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 4,381
Beautiful. Both car and shot Jer.
06-21-2019, 04:09 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Sailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Coastal Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 22,770
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Janse Quote
Beautiful. Both car and shot Jer.
Thanks again, Janse.

Jer
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, car, carrera, compression, location, photo
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Compressed Air to Clean, oh and Sd Card Copy feature.? BruceBanner General Photography 10 06-26-2017 04:15 PM
Machinery Carrera 4s Xsalfior Photo Critique 2 08-30-2012 09:30 PM
Pentax K5 HDMI out compressed or uncompressed 645user Pentax K-5 9 03-07-2012 03:18 PM
Are the DS JPGs too highly compressed? Ole Pentax DSLR and Camera Articles 5 09-03-2009 01:53 AM
John Carlson answering Q in DPR - DNG is Compressed nosnoop Pentax News and Rumors 4 05-21-2009 08:38 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:19 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top