Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
5 Likes  #1
A few more from the motorcycle museum
Lens: Rokinon 1.4/35 Camera: K1 Photo Location: Birmingham/UK 
Posted By: volley, 06-18-2019, 02:58 AM

Again, some shots taken at the National Motorcycle Museum.

My understanding is that all bikes on display are "ready to run". This may explain why many of these beautifully restored machines have provisions to collect the oil drops from the engine. Although as a mechanical engineer who once was specialized in combustion engines I was scratching my head ...

Views: 506
06-18-2019, 05:40 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Terrific series, Norbert! Your use of selective focus in the detail shots is outstanding. Good stuff, buddy.

Jer
06-18-2019, 07:45 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Some lovely motorcycles and very good photos. I concur with Jer.

Vintage British bikes do tend to leak oil. I have two vintage motorcycles, a Matchless, made in the Plumstead Road factory in London and a Yamaha made in Japan. Both crankcases are filled with oil, but only one motorcycle has a cake tin underneath. It will come as no surprise to anyone who has had older Brit bikes and older Japanese bikes, when I say the Matchless is the motorcycle that has the cake tin under it, in order to capture the oil that leaks out, on a regular basis.

The Yamaha has no need to have an oil catching vessel. I could park it on our living room floor and not one drop would fall on the hardwood floor. I wouldn't do that of course, as my wife wouldn't allow me to.

My particular Matchless has a Norton engine, but it would be the same if it was a BSA, Triumph, Ariel, etc. from the same era. BTW, modern British motorcycles do not leak oil, like their ancient brethren.
06-19-2019, 01:21 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Terrific series, Norbert! Your use of selective focus in the detail shots is outstanding. Good stuff, buddy.

Jer
Thank you Jer, glad you like the shots! Playing with such a fast lens and selective focus can be fun!

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Some lovely motorcycles and very good photos. I concur with Jer.

Vintage British bikes do tend to leak oil. I have two vintage motorcycles, a Matchless, made in the Plumstead Road factory in London and a Yamaha made in Japan. Both crankcases are filled with oil, but only one motorcycle has a cake tin underneath. It will come as no surprise to anyone who has had older Brit bikes and older Japanese bikes, when I say the Matchless is the motorcycle that has the cake tin under it, in order to capture the oil that leaks out, on a regular basis.

The Yamaha has no need to have an oil catching vessel. I could park it on our living room floor and not one drop would fall on the hardwood floor. I wouldn't do that of course, as my wife wouldn't allow me to.

My particular Matchless has a Norton engine, but it would be the same if it was a BSA, Triumph, Ariel, etc. from the same era. BTW, modern British motorcycles do not leak oil, like their ancient brethren.
Thank you for your kind comment and reply.
I agree, the new Triumph 3-cylinder engines are outstanding!
... and talking about oil leaks: I have spent more than 30 years in the (oil lubricated) fluid film bearings industry. We are talking about large shaft diameters here like you would see in large power generation equipment or ship propulsion. When I started working the saying was " a good bearing needs to leak a little" but today every drop of oil is considered a huge drama ...

06-19-2019, 02:54 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
. . . . . . . .When I started working the saying was " a good bearing needs to leak a little" but today every drop of oil is considered a huge drama ...
Your comment made me smile, Norbert. During the '70s and early '80s, I owned four successive Chevys with small-block V-8s, all of which spotted a bit on the garage floor. Although two of these were unforgivably shoddy overall - none used or leaked enough oil to to show any loss on the dipstick!

Jer
06-19-2019, 03:31 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A lot of iron horses there