Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
8 Likes  #1
Floyd Bennett Air Field Brooklyn
Lens: pentax 21mm Camera: k5iis Photo Location: Brooklyn ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/80s Aperture: F4.5 
Posted By: jonnytheweb, 06-18-2019, 04:18 PM

Floyd Bennett Air Field in Brooklyn is part of the National Park service.
1 of the hangers houses the Historic Aircraft Restoration Program ( H.A.R.P) and is manned by volunteers.
If you ever have a chance to visit this fabulous old hanger and the aircraft within, you will not be disappointed!
The Angels of HARP: Preserving, Researching and Restoring Aviation History - Gateway National Recreation Area (U.S. National Park Service)

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 

Views: 1,788
06-18-2019, 04:47 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Love the image! To me, it captures the spirit and soul of the restoration program. I like the way the wingtip of the P2V Neptune (I think) adds a dimension to the image.

Nice work with the DA 21mm Limited.

(I'm an aircraft enthusiast -- aeronautical engineer (retired), not a pilot)

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 06-18-2019 at 04:54 PM.
06-18-2019, 05:07 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Love the image! To me, it captures the spirit and soul of the restoration program. I like the way the wingtip of the P2V Neptune (I think) adds a dimension to the image.

Nice work with the DA 21mm Limited.

(I'm an aircraft enthusiast -- aeronautical engineer (retired), not a pilot)

- Craig
Thanks Craig. Its an amazing place to spend a few hours. The volunteers there come from all walks of life, and are extremely knowledgeable and helpful. I understand they have 2 machine shops on site as well, and manufacture parts etc for the program...fascinating stuff.
Thanks for the kind comments regarding the photo.
jon
06-18-2019, 05:07 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Excellent image. It's been far too long since I last visited Hangar B...

Chris

06-18-2019, 05:12 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Excellent image. It's been far too long since I last visited Hangar B...

Chris
Thanks Chris. It was my first visit. I plan to head back soon. Pretty certain hardly anyone in NY knows its there.
06-18-2019, 06:01 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I dropped a trailer in the park last week.

Trailer is for the Rugged Maniac obstacle course that will be there this weekend. Trucks have to come down flatbush and I knew if I went to HARP I would be coming back out during rush hour(hours?). So maybe next time I'll be able to go.
06-18-2019, 06:31 PM   #7

Original Poster
Haha yes i can imagine the traffic is horrendous. I cycled there so avoided all of the hassle!

06-18-2019, 09:25 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I wish I had known about this a couple of years ago! I lived in Westchester and would have made a point of visiting.

A number of years ago (er, well, maybe a large number...) I took advantage of an opportunity to volunteer to work on restoration of the B-29 Superfortress called Fifi at Boeing Field in Seattle. I built some wire bundles for some communications equipment and cleaned wheel wells with MEK. Cool experience.
06-18-2019, 11:23 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very nicely done. Is this aircraft a Messerschmitt 109? Looks like it according to the cockpit canopy design. Anyway, thanks for a great photo.

tt
06-18-2019, 11:36 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I think it's the Harvard Trainer as it was known in Canada or the Texan T-6 as it was known in the states. Great shot !
06-19-2019, 05:51 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jonnytheweb Quote
Haha yes i can imagine the traffic is horrendous. I cycled there so avoided all of the hassle!

Just past FBF at the southern terminus of Flatbush Avenue is The Marine Parkway Bridge,
which connects Brooklyn to The Rockaway Peninsula near Riis Park and Breezy Point.

You might run into a little traffic there during rush hour, on weekends and good beach days.
The rest of the time watch your speed - lest you meet our friendly NYPD Highway Patrol!

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 06-21-2019 at 09:44 AM.
06-19-2019, 07:42 AM   #12
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by jonnytheweb Quote
Floyd Bennett Air Field
There was me thinking that this was the flattop (aircraft carrier) version...
06-19-2019, 08:46 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Very nicely done. Is this aircraft a Messerschmitt 109? Looks like it according to the cockpit canopy design. Anyway, thanks for a great photo.

tt
My wife and I were visiting my brother a few years ago, when his daughter was 15 or so. Daughter Allison was outside with us. A plane flew over, low and clearly a piston engine. My wife and I both look up. "What kind of plane is that?" my wife asks. Allison (who hasn't looked up at all) says in a typical bored teenager affectation "It's a North American AT-6 Texan trainer." My wife is impressed and asks how she knew. Allison starts laughing and yells out to her father. "Dad, it really works!"

It seems my brother, airplane enthusiast since he was a kid, had dragged Allison to a lot of airshows where everyone wonders what kind of plane that is. He told her that you didn't have to really know, you could just guess it was a Texan. They made over 15,000 Texans and since they were trainers, they mostly survived. If you confidently declare that a plane flying overhead is a Texan, odds are that you are right, and the plane is probably gone before someone can argue.
06-19-2019, 10:27 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I was pretty sure it was a Texan or also known as a Harvard Trainer. When I was a kid about 10 or so, I got a Revell (I think) model of this airplane and remember it had badging for both American and Canadian air force(s)..so the model assembler could make their choice. I was a terrible model assembler, too much glue was my usual problem.
06-19-2019, 12:52 PM   #15
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
too much glue was my usual problem
Well with this one it looks like you ought to get down there pronto... they need ya.