Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
Not my usual visitor
Lens: Pentax110 70mm f2.8 Camera: Q10 Photo Location: Mosquito Creek, Queensland ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/500s Aperture: F4.5 
Posted By: PJ1, 06-19-2019, 05:01 AM

A young Wedge-tailed Eagle dropped in to my front yard this morning (their colour goes much darker with age). I am not sure exactly how it happened. I was just finishing breakfast when I heard a very loud "thump" as if something had hit the house. I went to look out the front of the house and there was an Australia Magpie standing over the body of a Bar-shouldered Dove. I figured the dove had crashed into a window when it was being chased. Magpies do pursue other birds although not often successfully from what I have seen. By the time I got the camera the magpie had already eaten the dove's head. It wouldn't cooperate for a photo and I tossed the dove out over the fence. No point in getting feathers all over the yard. A couple of minutes later when I was getting ready to go out for the day I saw this eagle in the front yard. Now I am wondering whether it had something to do with the dove/magpie episode. Anyway, it at least allowed me to get a few shots. It was interested in the grey water drainage hose for a while. Probably thought it was a snake (a very long one!). I am happy enough with the shot - Q10 and Pentax110 70mm (cropped, of course). I have a washer in the lens adapter that reduces it to about f4.5 by my exposure calculations.

Views: 977
06-19-2019, 07:49 AM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Not my usual visitor
Well done indeed, an opportunity maximised into a great shot.
06-19-2019, 02:03 PM   #3
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Well done indeed, an opportunity maximised into a great shot.
Thank you, sir! He was uncooperative with the light (even for our latitude the sun gets low(ish) in the sky). He hung about for a while and I had better luck with the Q10 than the K-01. In the next day or so we will get past the shortest day of the year and things will gradually improve. But, of course, it will be the longest day of the year for you. Enjoy dancing naked around those standing stones!
06-19-2019, 02:14 PM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Enjoy dancing naked around those standing stones!
Aye we do... and some other stuff too involving sacrifices, but getting volunteers is getting harder these days.

06-19-2019, 05:47 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What a wonderful capture of such a magnificent animal. I am very partial to eagles. I find them very fascinating. When I can find them.

TT
06-19-2019, 08:19 PM   #6
Closed Account

WOW Pete, I am really jealous of your " visitors. " I might get the occasional cockie....................if I'm lucky !!!
Very well captured mate.
06-21-2019, 10:17 AM   #7
Pentaxian

A young Wedge-tailed Eagle dropped in to my front yard this morning (their colour goes much darker with age). I am not sure exactly how it happened. I was just finishing breakfast when I heard a very loud "thump" as if something had hit the house. I went to look out the front of the house and there was an Australia Magpie standing over the body of a Bar-shouldered Dove. I figured the dove had crashed into a window when it was being chased. Magpies do pursue other birds although not often successfully from what I have seen. By the time I got the camera the magpie had already eaten the dove's head. It wouldn't cooperate for a photo and I tossed the dove out over the fence. No point in getting feathers all over the yard. A couple of minutes later when I was getting ready to go out for the day I saw this eagle in the front yard. Now I am wondering whether it had something to do with the dove/magpie episode. Anyway, it at least allowed me to get a few shots. It was interested in the grey water drainage hose for a while. Probably thought it was a snake (a very long one!). I am happy enough with the shot - Q10 and Pentax110 70mm (cropped, of course). I have a washer in the lens adapter that reduces it to about f4.5 by my exposure calculations.
Taken at just the right moment to get a good "expression".

06-21-2019, 05:40 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Vow, what a capture PJ1!