Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
Remembering Islay ...
Lens: Rokinon 1.4/35 Camera: K1 Photo Location: Kilchoman Distillery 
Posted By: volley, 06-19-2019, 01:31 PM

I took the shot during a distillery tour ...
... and just opened a bottle

Views: 1,214
06-19-2019, 01:55 PM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice shot (no pun intended )! That's some smoky, peaty goodness right there
06-19-2019, 02:32 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'll drink to that!

Jer
06-19-2019, 05:23 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Your photo has excellent clarity, wonderful colour and exceptional taste...from both the Scotch and of course the photographer's composition.

I note that you are using a Rokinon 35mm lens F 1.4 with your K1. I'm impressed with the image quality.

What is your opinion of this lens and if I may ask, do you find it easy to focus , as I understand these lenses are manual focus only. I ask as I have 'vintage' eyes and wondering how easy it would be to focus. I have been thinking about the Rokinon brand.

06-19-2019, 05:43 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Beautifully done. I like the creative idea of the bottle and glass sitting on a sea of what appears to be barley.

tt
06-20-2019, 03:41 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I’m envious. A Laphroaig drinker here. Sounds like my dream vacation. Sadly This year’s trip will be Portugal but it’s still a great photo destination.
06-20-2019, 05:02 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Nice shot (no pun intended )! That's some smoky, peaty goodness right there
Thanks! I must confess that my friends managed to convert me to the "peaty" side while we toured Islay!

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
I'll drink to that!

Jer
Cheers, my friend! By the way, I'll be in Houston again in September for the Turbomachinery Symposium. Would be great to get together again. I'll send you a PM when my schedule is fixed.

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Your photo has excellent clarity, wonderful colour and exceptional taste...from both the Scotch and of course the photographer's composition.

I note that you are using a Rokinon 35mm lens F 1.4 with your K1. I'm impressed with the image quality.

What is your opinion of this lens and if I may ask, do you find it easy to focus , as I understand these lenses are manual focus only. I ask as I have 'vintage' eyes and wondering how easy it would be to focus. I have been thinking about the Rokinon brand.
Thanks for your comment!
Regarding the lens I must say that I'm impressed with the optical performance as well as with the build quality. But it is heavy! Personally I find manual focus fairly easy with this lens and my eyes are not as good anymore as they used to be (I'm 62 now). Before I left for my motorbike trip to Scotland I was questioning which (and how many) lenses I should bring but I am glad I decided to bring quality glass and not only looked at lightweight alternatives.
Funny enough I never actively looked for this lens! Some month ago I put a wide-angle zoom lens up for sale at the marketplace. I had the strange idea to reduce the number of lenses I have. A forum member proposed an exchange with the Rokinon and I'm glad he came up with the idea!

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Beautifully done. I like the creative idea of the bottle and glass sitting on a sea of what appears to be barley.

tt
Thank you Tony! A guided distillery tour with a fairly large group is not the ideal scenario for a shot like this. I'm glad it turned out quite well.

QuoteOriginally posted by Saltwater Images Quote
I’m envious. A Laphroaig drinker here. Sounds like my dream vacation. Sadly This year’s trip will be Portugal but it’s still a great photo destination.
Many thanks! It was a great vacation! We've visited (and tasted) Bowmore, Lagavulin, Ardbeg, Kilchoman, Laphroaig, Ardnahoe and also Jura.
Just saying in case you are not envious enough

06-20-2019, 05:14 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Sláinte! I did something similar in Ireland about a month ago. Good stuff there...
06-20-2019, 06:18 AM   #9
Veteran Member

You have my husband crying now. He has discovered Spring Bank but it is so hard to find over here. Don't suppose you take orders?
06-21-2019, 05:45 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
I took the shot during a distillery tour ...
... and just opened a bottle
Nice composition from simple elements
06-21-2019, 11:08 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Volley says:

Thanks for your comment!
Regarding the lens I must say that I'm impressed with the optical performance as well as with the build quality. But it is heavy! Personally I find manual focus fairly easy with this lens and my eyes are not as good anymore as they used to be (I'm 62 now). Before I left for my motorbike trip to Scotland I was questioning which (and how many) lenses I should bring but I am glad I decided to bring quality glass and not only looked at lightweight alternatives.
Funny enough I never actively looked for this lens! Some month ago I put a wide-angle zoom lens up for sale at the marketplace. I had the strange idea to reduce the number of lenses I have. A forum member proposed an exchange with the Rokinon and I'm glad he came up with the idea!

Les says:

Thx Volley for your assessment on the Rokinon. In my experience it's always better to get an assessment of equipment from someone who owns and uses the actual product. I'm a bit older than you (70)...ok..a lot......but I'm glad to get an assessment from another guy whose eyes are getting older too.

Always interested to read your accounts of your motorcycle riding tours. I've got a couple of bikes, but not really riding that much anymore. However my son does a fair amount of riding on his BMW F series G/S, which he really likes. In fact he rented a BMW F series G/S for a riding trip in New Zealand a few months ago.

Thx again for the info.,

Les
06-21-2019, 05:35 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Skaal we say in Norwegian. :-)
06-22-2019, 01:29 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yucafrita Quote
Sláinte! I did something similar in Ireland about a month ago. Good stuff there...
Thanks, and I think the roads of Ireland might be a great alternative for another motorbike tour!

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
You have my husband crying now. He has discovered Spring Bank but it is so hard to find over here. Don't suppose you take orders?
Now I feel guilty sorry for depressing your husband! Unfortunately the luggage capacity of my bike is just enough to bring my bottles home

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Nice composition from simple elements
Thanks, appreciate your comment!

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Volley says:

Thanks for your comment!

Les says:

Thx Volley for your assessment on the Rokinon. In my experience it's always better to get an assessment of equipment from someone who owns and uses the actual product. I'm a bit older than you (70)...ok..a lot......but I'm glad to get an assessment from another guy whose eyes are getting older too.

Always interested to read your accounts of your motorcycle riding tours. I've got a couple of bikes, but not really riding that much anymore. However my son does a fair amount of riding on his BMW F series G/S, which he really likes. In fact he rented a BMW F series G/S for a riding trip in New Zealand a few months ago.

Thx again for the info.,

Les
Happy to share my opinion, Les. But be aware that I am just someone who enjoys taking photos with manual lenses. I'm not an expert!
And I've decided to enjoy riding my bike as long as I still feel capable to do so. I'm sure you and I are well aware that it is a dangerous activity - but it is also a lot of fun and it's taking me to wonderful places.

QuoteOriginally posted by Janse Quote
Skaal we say in Norwegian. :-)
Prost! And I've learned already many years ago that "Skaal" can be a very expensive word in Norway
06-22-2019, 12:52 PM   #14
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Remembering Islay ...
A great shot and an Island well worth remembering.

and just opened a bottle
We do that kinda thing here... the difference being once opened, we throw away the top.

Especially on my preferred brand...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 06-22-2019 at 01:02 PM.
06-23-2019, 12:49 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Thanks, and I think the roads of Ireland might be a great alternative for another motorbike tour!

Now I feel guilty sorry for depressing your husband! Unfortunately the luggage capacity of my bike is just enough to bring my bottles home

Thanks, appreciate your comment!

Happy to share my opinion, Les. But be aware that I am just someone who enjoys taking photos with manual lenses. I'm not an expert!
And I've decided to enjoy riding my bike as long as I still feel capable to do so. I'm sure you and I are well aware that it is a dangerous activity - but it is also a lot of fun and it's taking me to wonderful places.

Prost! And I've learned already many years ago that "Skaal" can be a very expensive word in Norway
No doubt about that. The taxes on alcohol are raised to the sky to prevent the Norwegian people of drinking to much. Does it help? No I don't think so. :-)