Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
9 Likes  #1
1937 Morgan Barrel Back Three Wheeler
Lens: DFA 28-105@37 Camera: K-1 Photo Location: Lake Jackson, TX ISO: 3200 Shutter Speed: 1/20s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: Sailor, 06-29-2019, 07:06 PM

This afternoon, I went to a local "AutoFest" put on by a local outfit called Nfinity Racers. It was a bigger show than I expected, but it was composed mostly of tricked-up late model Mustangs, Camaros, Subarus and the like - lots of good work that I'm too old to appreciate.

There were no Porsches (), but the show included a few exotics and '60s era muscle cars. For me, however, the star of the show was this 1937 Morgan Barrel Back - totally original. The car was inside in a low-light area, so I was pushing my gear a bit and did the best I could. I'd have been better served with my faster FA 31.

Jer

Views: 1,362
06-29-2019, 07:13 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Low light on not I'd say it turned out great. Now that is an interesting piece of machinery.
06-29-2019, 07:49 PM   #3
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You did very well on that shot. It looks to be in immaculate condition.
06-29-2019, 08:18 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Wow !

Excellent photograph and what an opportunity to see a Morgan like this.

What a beautiful Morgan 3 wheeler.

I note it has the Matchless motorcycle V-Twin engine powering it. Matchless did provide large V-Twin engines, along with J.A.P. back then.

The capital 'M' on the heads of the engine...stand for Matchless, not Morgan as some might think. I'm fortunate to have one of the last of the Matchless motorcycles...a late 1967 G15 750 CS Scrambler. Matchless made their first motorcycles in 1899, out of business in 1966, although they did make some '67 models. One might say I'm a Matchless fan. ..also a Morgan fan.

Les

06-29-2019, 09:50 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A very impressive looking vehicle. I believe Morgan is still in production in the U.K. Vehicles last I heard are still being hand made. I'm loving it.

tt
06-30-2019, 02:58 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
A very impressive looking vehicle. I believe Morgan is still in production in the U.K. Vehicles last I heard are still being hand made. I'm loving it.

tt
Your belief is well-founded. Morgan started up production of the 3-wheeler again in 2012 (using an S&S 56° V-twin) and has also produced an electric version. The waiting list on their range of vehicles ranges from six months to ten years!

Great photo, Jer. You handle that 28-105 with great skill.
06-30-2019, 06:51 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by foxandcrow Quote
Low light on not I'd say it turned out great. Now that is an interesting piece of machinery.
Thanks much!! Yeah, you don't see one of these every day.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
You did very well on that shot. It looks to be in immaculate condition.
Thank you for the kind words. It looked perfect to me when I saw it in the flesh; the present owner bought it, took it apart and reassembled it to get it as good as possible.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Wow !

Excellent photograph and what an opportunity to see a Morgan like this.

What a beautiful Morgan 3 wheeler.

I note it has the Matchless motorcycle V-Twin engine powering it. Matchless did provide large V-Twin engines, along with J.A.P. back then.

The capital 'M' on the heads of the engine...stand for Matchless, not Morgan as some might think. I'm fortunate to have one of the last of the Matchless motorcycles...a late 1967 G15 750 CS Scrambler. Matchless made their first motorcycles in 1899, out of business in 1966, although they did make some '67 models. One might say I'm a Matchless fan. ..also a Morgan fan.

Les
Hey, Les - thanks much. Very interesting - I assumed the "M" stands for Morgan. It was fascinating to stand beside this vehicle which was built 9 years before I was born!

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote

tt
I'm glad you like the shot, Tony.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Your belief is well-founded. Morgan started up production of the 3-wheeler again in 2012 (using an S&S 56° V-twin) and has also produced an electric version. The waiting list on their range of vehicles ranges from six months to ten years!

Great photo, Jer. You handle that 28-105 with great skill.
Hey Rob - thanks for the nice words!

Jer

06-30-2019, 07:36 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nothing to add to what's already been said so I'll just say.....That's so cool looking!!!
06-30-2019, 12:35 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
Nothing to add to what's already been said so I'll just say.....That's so cool looking!!!
Glad you enjoyed the pic - it is, indeed, one cool-looking vehicle.

Jer
06-30-2019, 01:07 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
It was fascinating to stand beside this vehicle which was built 9 years before I was born!

Jer
Quite right. I always find it of great interest to stand by or handle something that existed well before my birth. A few years ago, my wife and I were at an exhibit where the Magna Carta was on display. It was in a case, with a lot of security...but to me it gave me a chill to look at it and reflect on this foundation of democracy..so close.

About a decade ago I was also quite privileged to have an opportunity to view and handle (literally with gloves) some ancient books from the 1300's at the local university, with a professor of literature. It is something I will never forget.

Les
06-30-2019, 04:03 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For low light you certainly captured a lot of detail without noise........ well done!
06-30-2019, 08:10 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
For low light you certainly captured a lot of detail without noise........ well done!
Thanks much, my friend. I appreciate the kind words. Much of the credit goes to the marvelous K-1, which seems indifferent to light or other factors. It just seems to deliver!

Jer
11-07-2019, 02:13 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What a cool piece of machinery! I've never seen anything like it. For the environment you were in, I still think you did great. Thanks for sharing.
11-07-2019, 02:14 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Reality_Check Quote
What a cool piece of machinery! I've never seen anything like it. For the environment you were in, I still think you did great. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks very much!

Jer
11-07-2019, 02:26 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Very cool vehicle!