Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
9 Likes  #1
Before they are Monarchs
Lens: Sigma 180 3.5 EX DG IF APO Camera: K-5 Photo Location: NEPA ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/25s Aperture: F16 
Posted By: SCGushue, 07-05-2019, 12:20 PM

While Monarch butterflies are said to be falling in number, various agencies ask people to plant milkweed in order to provide a "nursery" for the larva. I have a section of land that I allow the milkweed to grow every year. Here are a couple of images of what Beautiful Monarch butterflies look like before metamorphosis.

Views: 759
07-05-2019, 09:02 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A very lovely capture indeed. Beautifully photographed colors, sharpness, exposure and composition. What's not to love? Thanks for sharing.

TT
07-06-2019, 08:22 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Kudos to you for the nice photos and for growing Milkweed. Monarch caterpillars are just so cool looking.
07-06-2019, 08:57 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Never seen a Monarch caterpillar...beautiful. Excellent photos.

07-06-2019, 10:42 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Beautifully done!

Jer
07-06-2019, 10:30 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Being a member of the Pennsylvania Native Plant Society I appreciate anyone taking an interest in growing pollinator plants. Of the 10 milkweed varieties native to PA, I have 5 growing and they're all used by Monarchs(among other butterflies). Those are beautiful, clear pictures and I appreciate you setting aside land for the plants.
07-06-2019, 11:48 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very nice! Monarchs are popular here and many people grow milkweed for them.

07-08-2019, 10:51 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by joelbolden Quote
Being a member of the Pennsylvania Native Plant Society I appreciate anyone taking an interest in growing pollinator plants. Of the 10 milkweed varieties native to PA, I have 5 growing and they're all used by Monarchs(among other butterflies). Those are beautiful, clear pictures and I appreciate you setting aside land for the plants.

Thank you for the comments. If I remember from my Field Biology days, way back when......, the species growing on my area is A syriaca. A. Incarnate grows nearby too. I don’t recall ever coming across any of the other species, but, I will be on the lookout as I often take field guides for flowering plants when hiking.

Stephen

---------- Post added 07-08-2019 at 11:06 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Very nice! Monarchs are popular here and many people grow milkweed for them.
At first I was surprised that Monarchs would be in NZ. Then I did some research. I had forgotten that NZ is not an “island” but the remnant of a continent that still remains above water. Easy for Monarchs to have gotten there in the past. I also see that there is also Monarch Butterfly NZ Trust.

Thank you for opening my eyes to the extent of their range.

Stephen
07-08-2019, 04:40 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SCGushue Quote
Thank you for the comments. If I remember from my Field Biology days, way back when......, the species growing on my area is A syriaca. A. Incarnate grows nearby too. I don’t recall ever coming across any of the other species, but, I will be on the lookout as I often take field guides for flowering plants when hiking.

Stephen

---------- Post added 07-08-2019 at 11:06 AM ----------

At first I was surprised that Monarchs would be in NZ. Then I did some research. I had forgotten that NZ is not an “island” but the remnant of a continent that still remains above water. Easy for Monarchs to have gotten there in the past. I also see that there is also Monarch Butterfly NZ Trust.

Thank you for opening my eyes to the extent of their range.

Stephen
It's interesting in that no-one knows how they got here. There are several theories but it seems likely that they may be an introduced species. But, they have been seen in New Zealand since before European migration. The swan plants (on which they feed almost exclusively) appear to have been introduced from Africa.