Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Sunny Sunday morning in the Bridge City
Lens: HD DA 55-300 ED WR Camera: K-30 ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: RGlasel, 07-07-2019, 02:50 PM

I went down early to avoid the harsh mid-day light and get some nice shadows on the west bank of the South Saskatchewan River.

Views: 335
07-07-2019, 02:55 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Terrific compositions! Nice job.

Jer
07-07-2019, 05:46 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Excellent work and thanks so much for posting.

TT
07-07-2019, 05:59 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice series of bridge photos! We have a very similar designed bridge close by in Folsom, CA over the American River. Do you know when this one was constructed?

07-07-2019, 07:21 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I agree with Sailor, excellent composition. I love those Art Deco-style bridges from the early 20th century. We have a similar one in Tempe over the Salt River, built in the 30's. That must be the University Bridge in Saskatoon? I looked it up, and apparently it was finished in 1916.
07-07-2019, 09:36 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Terrific compositions! Nice job.
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Excellent work and thanks so much for posting.
Thank you both for your kind comments, they are much appreciated!
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
We have a very similar designed bridge close by in Folsom, CA over the American River. Do you know when this one was constructed?
There are three different bridges, the first picture is of the Broadway Bridge built in 1932, the second picture shows the "new" Traffic Bridge behind the Broadway Bridge. The original iron Parker truss Traffic Bridge was built in 1907, closed in 2010 because it was held together by nothing but rust and a new pre-rusted bridge was completed in 2018.
QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
That must be the University Bridge in Saskatoon? I looked it up, and apparently it was finished in 1916.
You are right, the University Bridge is in the third picture, it was the third bridge in Saskatoon (including a railway bridge built in 1890 that was demolished in 1965). Considering that the population was only 21,000 at the time suggests to me that city fathers were free and easy with tax money in those days. Today, Saskatoon's population is a little under 300,000 and there are 34 bridge lanes for motor traffic, which is a much higher per capita number than most cities with a single river running through them..
QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
We have a similar one in Tempe over the Salt River, built in the 30's.
I'll have to check it out the next time I visit my in-laws at Venture Out in Mesa.
07-07-2019, 10:41 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Atmospheric haze, there is.
07-08-2019, 09:31 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Atmospheric haze, there is.
Correct, not only the low angle of the sun, but it was uncharacteristically hot and humid for this semi-arid part of the world. I was sweating just as much as the morning joggers, from going up and down the river bank.

07-08-2019, 06:50 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Thanks for the extra history on the bridges! I love learning about how cities develop over time.
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
I'll have to check it out the next time I visit my in-laws at Venture Out in Mesa.
Venture Out, ha! That place makes a striking picture from above. The band Modest Mouse used it as an album cover a few years ago.

The bridge I mentioned is the southbound Mill Avenue bridge just north of ASU. They built a second (less pretty) bridge in the '90's for northbound traffic. It's not nearly as big as the bridges you've pictured here, but it's in the same concrete arch style with Art Deco motifs. It was finished in 1931.