Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
7 Likes  #1
Pentax can't do sports (or in this case, fast miniature cars)
Lens: Modified 60-250mm, DFa 100 macro Camera: K-1 Photo Location: Thedford Mines 
Posted By: bdery, 07-12-2019, 10:48 AM

I hear that Pentax AF can't track and do sports. So I guess I got lucky... Here's a series with miniature cars which reach up to about 60-70 km/h.

Views: 647
07-22-2019, 01:02 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is possibel that Pentax has some weakness conserning AF, but IMO this is minor to all the advantages. The skills of the person behind the camera is most important, as you demonstrate here. :-)
07-22-2019, 03:55 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A damn fine effort. I like this series very much. Kudos to anyone who takes on a difficult challenge, win or lose. TT
07-22-2019, 04:55 PM   #4
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Great examples, especially as the 100 macro has a long throw and is slow to AF and the DA*60-250 isn't famously quick either. Could you share your focus settings?

07-23-2019, 04:46 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Could you share your focus settings?
Some of these were shot in AF-C, 9 points tracking, shutter priority. Others were shot by pre-focusing on the expected subject position and shooting when ready.

For the record, I was with a Nikonian friend who himself recommended this technique because according to him, no camera could catch these vehicles jumping...
07-23-2019, 02:21 PM   #6
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Some of these were shot in AF-C, 9 points tracking, shutter priority. Others were shot by pre-focusing on the expected subject position and shooting when ready.For the record, I was with a Nikonian friend who himself recommended this technique because according to him, no camera could catch these vehicles jumping...
Thank you. It's interesting to see what works for experienced photographers. For my birds-in-flight setting I have played around with different configurations. I currently use use Auto 27 points, Tv (1/1250th), SR off, exposure linked to the AF point, shutter button half-press for AF (I usually use back button for most things), AF-C (I use AF-S for most other things) and focus-priority for first frame action, focus-priority for action in AF-C continuous, AF hold status High. But I waver over a number of these. I switched to 27 points because sometimes a fast moving subject can get to the edge of the frame before I can re-target, but the downside of 27 points is that there is more risk that the AF will lock onto something other than the subject. Maybe I should go back to 9 points and give up on those ones where I can't keep the subject roughly in the middle area of the frame.
07-24-2019, 05:21 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Thank you. It's interesting to see what works for experienced photographers. For my birds-in-flight setting I have played around with different configurations. I currently use use Auto 27 points, Tv (1/1250th), SR off, exposure linked to the AF point, shutter button half-press for AF (I usually use back button for most things), AF-C (I use AF-S for most other things) and focus-priority for first frame action, focus-priority for action in AF-C continuous, AF hold status High. But I waver over a number of these. I switched to 27 points because sometimes a fast moving subject can get to the edge of the frame before I can re-target, but the downside of 27 points is that there is more risk that the AF will lock onto something other than the subject. Maybe I should go back to 9 points and give up on those ones where I can't keep the subject roughly in the middle area of the frame.
I forgot to mention that following my review of the K-1 II, I now use Hold OFF for AF-C
07-24-2019, 08:12 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What fun series! First class shooting, for sure.

Jer

07-25-2019, 01:20 PM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Pentax can't do sports (or in this case, fast miniature cars)
We know that they were really stationary or suspended on fishing line for these Pentax shots...