Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
A Really Red MGA
Lens: DFA 28-105 @ Camera: K-1 Photo Location: Seabrook, TX ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/350s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: Sailor, 07-19-2019, 06:33 PM

I'm still processing photos taken back in May at the Keels and Wheels Concours at Houston's Lakewood Yacht Club in Seabrook, TX. Here's a pic of an unequivocally RED MGA. When I was in grade school and middle school back in the '50s, I loved (and still do) the clean, organic lines of the MGA. This one is a bit tarted up, but still looks good to me.

Jer

Views: 709
07-19-2019, 06:34 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Now that is very sporty
07-19-2019, 08:17 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hot damn!! What a beauty. Be back in about ten minutes, time for a cold shower. )

Very nicely presented. Thanks a million.

TT
07-19-2019, 10:34 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was an MG guy. That thing over the trunk is not stock; it adds interest. What a great car. Thanks for posting.

07-19-2019, 11:45 PM - 1 Like   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
A Really Red MGA
Did nobody tell you... Pentax don't do Red

07-20-2019, 07:08 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Now that is very sporty
It is indeed, my friend.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Hot damn!! What a beauty. Be back in about ten minutes, time for a cold shower. )

Very nicely presented. Thanks a million.

TT
Hey, Tony - I'm glad you like this guy! As always, thanks for looking.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by mroeder75 Quote
I was an MG guy. That thing over the trunk is not stock; it adds interest. What a great car. Thanks for posting.
I've always loved MGs, but never owned we. We did own one of the MG's corporate cousins, a 1958 Morris Minor 1000 convertible - in which I learned to drive.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Did nobody tell you... Pentax don't do Red

Let it be said,

Pentax does red,

If you think otherwise,

You've got rocks in your head.

Jer
07-20-2019, 08:14 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Nice shot of the 'A'. I've always had a soft spot for MG's with the MGB GT being my favourite.

07-20-2019, 10:22 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
Nice shot of the 'A'. I've always had a soft spot for MG's with the MGB GT being my favourite.
I almost bought a 67 MGB GT. It was bright red. Sadly, the rear engine seal had a leak that required pulling the engine to repair. Something about an overdrive gearbox or something. It leaked badly enough that unless the revs were kept way up, the clutch got wet and started to slip.
I was probably up to the task, I just didn’t like the car enough, though it was a beauty. I ended up with a 72 Mercury Capri instead. I rearranged the letters on the hood to rest iCarp. This was decades before iAnything.
07-21-2019, 08:36 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The color and detail are excellent.
07-21-2019, 12:51 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
Thanks much. I came close to buying a new MGB roadster around 1970 but never pulled the trigger. I'd get one now, but we've run out of garage space and - in any case - my wife would kill me.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I almost bought a 67 MGB GT. It was bright red. Sadly, the rear engine seal had a leak that required pulling the engine to repair. Something about an overdrive gearbox or something. It leaked badly enough that unless the revs were kept way up, the clutch got wet and started to slip.
I was probably up to the task, I just didn’t like the car enough, though it was a beauty. I ended up with a 72 Mercury Capri instead. I rearranged the letters on the hood to rest iCarp. This was decades before iAnything.
I'm betting you made a wise choice.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by foxandcrow Quote
The color and detail are excellent.
Thank you!

Jer
07-21-2019, 01:05 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I was probably up to the task, I just didn’t like the car enough, though it was a beauty. I ended up with a 72 Mercury Capri instead. I rearranged the letters on the hood to read iCarp. This was decades before iAnything.
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote

I'm betting you made a wise choice.

Jer
I know I did. The Capri had a 2.0L Cortina inline 4 engine that made quite a lot more power than the MG, it had better tuned suspension, and had the reliability that we have come to expect from German cars.
It didn’t have the looks of the MG, but I was able to drive it in the winter, which more than made up for that.
Where I am, MGs are much like motorcycles for usability. They are nice on a warm day, but they need to be garaged for something like 2/3 of the year.
07-21-2019, 01:13 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shot of the MGA. I think I prefer the original more. A colleague had the couple version with a Ford Cologne V6 he installed in it. Not sure the chassis was up for it but it did go fast.
07-21-2019, 01:35 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Nice shot of the MGA. I think I prefer the original more. A colleague had the couple version with a Ford Cologne V6 he installed in it. Not sure the chassis was up for it but it did go fast.
Hey, Steve - thanks much. I'm with you; I prefer the car unadorned with the "racing" structure attached to the trunk (there's a name for these things, but I can't bring it to mind). I'm sure that V6 coupe was fast; in the '60s in my home town, a guy dropped a 327 Chevy V-8 in a Austin Healey 3000 - I remember it was pretty quick too.

Jer
07-28-2019, 05:36 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Beautiful capture of a beautiful car!
07-28-2019, 08:03 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Janse Quote
Beautiful capture of a beautiful car!
Thank you, my friend.