Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Gardening Photos
Lens: Tamron f/2.8 90mm Camera: Pentax K-5 Photo Location: Manchester, Iowa 
Posted By: mroeder75, 07-20-2019, 08:26 PM

This will show, the good, the bad, and the ugly. A candid view of the good and bad of my gardens.

Photo 1: Unknown yellow rose.

Photo 2: The Prince. Somehow this partially opened flower is the only one I have taken of The Prince that conveys its true color.

Photo 3: Yellow rose, Molinieux. The bane of Midwest rose growing the past 20 years has been the Japanese beetles. We didn't have them before the late 1990s or early 2000s.

Photo 4: Multi-colored rose, Nicole, infested with Japanese beetles. I am using Bayer products to control them this year and this is the first summer in 15-years I actually have had roses in my main rose beds. From late June through the end of August these beetles have eaten my rose buds before the roses even open. I have some control, this year.

Photo 5: Pink rose, Queen Elizabeth. She has had no beetles at all.

Photo 6: Semi-Double orange/yellow rose named Stretch Johnson.

Photo 7: Gurney's super sweet hybrid sweet corn, That's Delicious.

Photo 8: The Prince fully open. I did some post-processing to try to help it reflect its true color which is more toward purple, and I am not entirely successful. ARS classifies it as a red rose. The camera does not show the color the eye sees live.

Photo 9: Pinkish peach rose, Johan Strauss

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Last edited by mroeder75; 07-20-2019 at 08:37 PM.
Views: 200
07-21-2019, 02:58 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A very beautiful floral series with equally interesting narration. Anything being done to control those Japanese Beetles? Thanks for uploading.

TT
07-21-2019, 07:43 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A lovely series of photos!
07-21-2019, 08:54 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice series. Beautiful colors.

07-21-2019, 08:48 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
A very beautiful floral series with equally interesting narration. Anything being done to control those Japanese Beetles? Thanks for uploading.

TT
I have used Bayer Shrub and Tree Protect. on 27 of my roses, and Bayer 3-in-1 on 11 of them. This is the first year I have used these products. They have helped a lot, but nothing is perfect. I would say that over the past 15-years my roses have been chewed up when the get to the bud stage starting in about the 4th week of June through the last week of August, and I have had no roses during that period of time. Then by September I started getting a few more blooms, but the bushes are so damaged by that time that it has been not very worthwhile growing them.

I thought I would try these Bayer products, and they have worked well, but there effectiveness is starting to wear off. The Shrub and Tree Protect is supposed to last one-year. The 3-in-1 is supposed to last 6-weeks, and I have had in out there 4.5 weeks. Most of my roses are actually blooming in July. About 5 of them are being eaten up before they get much bloom started.

---------- Post added 07-21-19 at 10:48 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
A lovely series of photos!
Thank you!

---------- Post added 07-21-19 at 10:49 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by foxandcrow Quote
Nice series. Beautiful colors.
Thank you!