Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Grant Wood
Lens: Focal 28mm f/2.8 Camera: Pentax K-5 Photo Location: Riverside Cemetery, Anamosa, Iowa ISO: 100 
Posted By: mroeder75, 07-21-2019, 06:28 PM

Today mom showed us where her dad is buried in Anamosa. She recalls how treacherous the cemetery was that day with its steep hills and narrow car paths, and snow cover. She was just 7.

Roughly 35-yards away lies Grant Wood. He died less than a year later. There are a lot of Woods in the Wood family plot. Nan Wood Graham, Grant Wood's sister, who is depicted in American Gothic, died in 1990, is buried adjacent to Grant Wood; I didn't get a pic of her stone; it is identical to Grant Wood's.

---------- Post added 07-21-19 at 08:30 PM ----------

Oops. I intended to submit this slightly cropped photo:

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Views: 218
07-21-2019, 06:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I intended to submit this slightly cropped photo.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
07-21-2019, 07:10 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Who is William H. Cook ? Is that your grandfather ?
07-21-2019, 08:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Who is William H. Cook ? Is that your grandfather ?
Yes, indeed. I am told he was a farm hand; and he went from farm to farm mixing and grinding feed. There wasn't much money in that business. Somehow the cemetery is the great equalizer.

Without a father, my mother grew up in poverty. Her older sister told me that as she was growing up she lived in 19 different places before she turned 18. Grandma got a job during the war at the Savannah Army Depot, just across the Mississippi River. She never drove a car. I think they bussed women from Eastern Iowa to Savannah Illinois to make munitions for the war effort. At some point my grandmother did remarry.

Last edited by mroeder75; 07-21-2019 at 11:59 PM.