Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
The Bubble - Revisited
Posted By: Colorado CJ, 07-30-2019, 04:57 PM

Well I reshot the Bubble nebula last night using some different software. I didn't like how the software I've been using didn't have automatic focusing between filter changes. This new software is a lot more robust and automates almost everything.

When I was editing this new image, I also had an Ah-Ha moment. I've been editing all my astro photos the wrong way all this time! There is a function in stacking called "stretching" and I was stretching my images when I staked them, but also when I saved them later, essentially introducing a lot of noise and limiting detail needlessly. The stacking software automatically stretched images and it has to be deselected each time.

This is my first "correctly" edited image and I can see there is a lot less noise and a lot more detail. I still have A LOT to learn to become proficient with astrophotography

Anyway, here is the image.

25, 300 second SII exposures
20, 300 second OIII exposures
20, 200 second Ha exposures

Views: 542
07-30-2019, 05:28 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Colorado CJ Quote
This is my first "correctly" edited image and I can see there is a lot less noise and a lot more detail. I still have A LOT to learn to become proficient with astrophotography
It looks *awesome* to me. Beautiful image! Very, very well captured
07-30-2019, 07:14 PM   #3
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great "bubble" shot. Leaves me wondering just how it has formed or what it is evolving into. If you say you have a lot to learn, you will be more than amazing when you get there.
07-31-2019, 12:02 PM   #4
Pentaxian

excellent shot - which camera do you use ?

10-03-2019, 07:55 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well I reshot the Bubble nebula last night using some different software. I didn't like how the software I've been using didn't have automatic focusing between filter changes. This new software is a lot more robust and automates almost everything.

When I was editing this new image, I also had an Ah-Ha moment. I've been editing all my astro photos the wrong way all this time! There is a function in stacking called "stretching" and I was stretching my images when I staked them, but also when I saved them later, essentially introducing a lot of noise and limiting detail needlessly. The stacking software automatically stretched images and it has to be deselected each time.

looks great!
11-19-2019, 07:21 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Well done!