Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
Turf on the roof
Lens: DA 55-300mm ED Camera: K-70 Photo Location: Norway 
Posted By: Janse, 07-31-2019, 01:30 PM

Yesterday we got the turf on our cabin roof. Hard work.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 

Views: 624
07-31-2019, 03:09 PM   #2
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting operation, Janse. I can't quite relate to turf on the roof.
07-31-2019, 04:17 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Janse Quote
Yesterday we got the turf on our cabin roof. Hard work.
I'm impressed. What's under the turf? (Can you describe the roof construction and waterproofing?)
07-31-2019, 04:25 PM - 4 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
How do you get the Lawnmower up there?

07-31-2019, 04:28 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you for commenting PJ1. Turf on the roofs is a very old Norwegian tradition, have may be been used from 500 B.C. The most important thing about a such roof is the waterproof layer under the turf consisting of several layers of birch bark. The lifetime of that kind of roof was about 60-80 years. Nowadays we use a special kind of plastic instead of birch bark. The mission of the turf was to keep the bark in place and also functioned as inulation. Of course the construction must withstand the weight from the turf (up to 300 kg pr. square meter together with pressure from the snow layer in the winter. :-)
07-31-2019, 06:41 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you for commenting PJ1. Turf on the roofs is a very old Norwegian tradition, have may be been used from 500 B.C. The most important thing about a such roof is the waterproof layer under the turf consisting of several layers of birch bark. The lifetime of that kind of roof was about 60-80 years. Nowadays we use a special kind of plastic instead of birch bark. The mission of the turf was to keep the bark in place and also functioned as inulation. Of course the construction must withstand the weight from the turf (up to 300 kg pr. square meter together with pressure from the snow layer in the winter. :-)
What's the "special kind of plastic"s brand name?
07-31-2019, 07:36 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sprinkler or drip irrigation?
07-31-2019, 07:46 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Drone of course

08-01-2019, 01:27 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I'm impressed. What's under the turf? (Can you describe the roof construction and waterproofing?)
Thank you. Starting with the roof beams (rafters?), above this a wind barrier made of a special canvas which is waterproof but allows water vapor diffusion. Then comes a wooden roof, often wood fibre boards. Above this a bituben - based type of underlay. After this the special plastic. Well known products here in Norway are: Platon Xtra Torvtak and Icopal Fonda Torvtaksplate. I was using the last one. Skråtak: Platon Xtra Torvtak
Fonda Torvtaksplate | Fuktsperre laget for torvtak | Icopal

---------- Post added 08-01-19 at 01:35 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
Sprinkler or drip irrigation?
Now I use sprinkler irrigation but later I will install drip irrigation I think. ( Normally we get so much rain that irrigation isn't necessary) :-)
08-01-2019, 01:40 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you. Starting with the roof beams (rafters?), above this a wind barrier made of a special canvas which is waterproof but allows water vapor diffusion. Then comes a wooden roof, often wood fibre boards. Above this a bituben - based type of underlay. After this the special plastic. Well known products here in Norway are: Platon Xtra Torvtak and Icopal Fonda Torvtaksplate. I was using the last one. Skråtak: Platon Xtra Torvtak
Fonda Torvtaksplate | Fuktsperre laget for torvtak | Icopal

---------- Post added 08-01-19 at 01:35 AM ----------

Now I use sprinkler irrigation but later I will install drip irrigation I think. ( Normally we get so much rain that irrigation isn't necessary) :-)
Nice! I like it!
08-01-2019, 01:41 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Once a year the grass ought to be cut, not too short (10cm). I think I will use a chythe. :-)

---------- Post added 08-01-19 at 01:42 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Drone of course
Haven't got one yet. :-)
08-01-2019, 10:05 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I think sod roofs were common when Scandanavians settled Minnesota, and less common, but known here in Eastern and Northeastern Iowa, where birch trees can be found. Here is sketch showing an example on a one room school house in Iowa, circa 1900, from Iowa Public Television. Sod Roofed One Room Log School House | IPTV

Thank you for explaining how this works. I never understood it. And yet, I would still like to know, do you spray for weeds? Do you remove trees from the roof? It seems like there would be more maintenance than the typical asphalt shingling we have here in the U.S.A.
08-02-2019, 07:20 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey Janse, how do they hoist a lawnmower up there? It would take real courage to tackle that roof with a riding lawn mower!!

Your shot reminds me of a song from the past.

Jer

08-04-2019, 12:49 AM   #14
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Turf on the roof
Not sure that my ride on can handle a 45°pitch...
08-06-2019, 12:50 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mroeder75 Quote
I think sod roofs were common when Scandanavians settled Minnesota, and less common, but known here in Eastern and Northeastern Iowa, where birch trees can be found. Here is sketch showing an example on a one room school house in Iowa, circa 1900, from Iowa Public Television. Sod Roofed One Room Log School House | IPTV

Thank you for explaining how this works. I never understood it. And yet, I would still like to know, do you spray for weeds? Do you remove trees from the roof? It seems like there would be more maintenance than the typical asphalt shingling we have here in the U.S.A.
Thank you so much for commenting mroeder75. More than 800 000 Norwegian emigrated to mainly Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and North-Dakota and I'm sure many had buildining with sod roofs. A lot of Norwegian cabins also have asphalt shingling on the roof. I agree a turf roof needs much more maintenance. (If you like to keep it nice). I think I will remove trees and high weeds mechanically instead of using herbicides. :-)

---------- Post added 08-06-19 at 12:56 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Hey Janse, how do they hoist a lawnmower up there? It would take real courage to tackle that roof with a riding lawn mower!!

Your shot reminds me of a song from the past.

Jer

the drifters - up on the roof - YouTube
A riding lawnmower is not a option for me Jer, I have to find another way. Thanks a lot for the song. :-)

---------- Post added 08-06-19 at 12:59 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Not sure that my ride on can handle a 45°pitch...
My roof angle is 30 degrees so I suppose you could handle that? :-)