Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
17 Likes  #1
Back in the Saddle Again - A Tribute to My Wife
Lens: DFA 28-105 Camera: K-1 Photo Location: Our Driveway 
Posted By: Sailor, 08-01-2019, 03:40 PM

A few of my forum buddies may remember that a bit less than two years ago, my wife suffered near fatal injuries (best not described) when - while riding her bike - she was struck from behind at an intersection by a woman driving a pickup truck. Between the original emergency operation and several post-op infection operations, she was in the hospital for about a month and underwent months of pain, wound recovery processes and physical therapy. The following summer she had recovered sufficiently to walk 2 or 3 miles a day; unfortunately she fell and dislocated a shoulder! More physical therapy, of course.

Last week, while we were taking a grampa/grama-type late afternoon cruise in the convertible, she mentioned that she'd like to start riding again and would - at some time - like to stop in at our local bike shop to look at new bikes (her original bike was destroyed in the accident). Since we were within a half mile of the place, I said - "how about now?" and drove to the shop. Making a short story shorter, we ordered for her a new very light, carbon fiber bicycle, which was delivered on Monday. She has bounced back beyond all my expectations; today, we rode 10 miles together and she was unfazed. She will be 71 on August 20.

BTW, I was so impressed with her bike, I ordered one for me! My 10-year-old Trek (which has logged over 29,000 miles) will be put out to pasture. .

Jer

Views: 2,571
08-01-2019, 04:40 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Back in the saddle, indeed! Thanks for posting this inspiring and heartwarming story. Best wishes to both of you for many more miles.

- Craig
08-01-2019, 05:24 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
A few of my forum buddies may remember that a bit less than two years ago, my wife suffered near fatal injuries (best not described) when - while riding her bike - she was struck from behind at an intersection by a woman driving a pickup truck. Between the original emergency operation and several post-op infection operations, she was in the hospital for about a month and underwent months of pain, wound recovery processes and physical therapy. The following summer she had recovered sufficiently to walk 2 or 3 miles a day; unfortunately she fell and dislocated a shoulder! More physical therapy, of course.

Last week, while we were taking a grampa/grama-type late afternoon cruise in the convertible, she mentioned that she'd like to start riding again and would - at some time - like to stop in at our local bike shop to look at new bikes (her original bike was destroyed in the accident). Since we were within a half mile of the place, I said - "how about now?" and drove to the shop. Making a short story shorter, we ordered for her a new very light, carbon fiber bicycle, which was delivered on Monday. She has bounced back beyond all my expectations; today, we rode 10 miles together and she was unfazed. She will be 71 on August 20.

BTW, I was so impressed with her bike, I ordered one for me! My 10-year-old Trek (which has logged over 29,000 miles) will be put out to pasture. .

Jer

New Bike Day! Woo-hoo!!

I'm sorry to read about your wife's accident. As a keen road cyclist myself, I know all too well how dangerous it can be out there.
I've done 20,467.5km on my carbon bike so far and absolutely love it.

Do remember to post a photo of your bike - and remember: If it's not on strava, the ride did not happen!
08-01-2019, 10:47 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Gosh, what an awful thing to happen. Didn't the driver of the pick up truck see her? Was the driver of the truck drunk or on drugs? Was she ever cited for causing the accident?

So glad that your wife has made a miraculous recovery. "Happy Trails" to you both and God Bless.

TT

08-01-2019, 10:49 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great story and photo - congrats and happy riding!
08-01-2019, 11:07 PM   #6
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
She has bounced back beyond all my expectations
Wonderful news buddy. Enjoy your trips together Jer.
08-01-2019, 11:36 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks like a mean machine, what's the BPP (Brake Pedal Power) on it?

08-02-2019, 07:01 AM   #8
Veteran Member

What an amazing woman your wife is Jer. An accident like that can be hard for anyone to come back from and it takes so much more courage for those of it getting just a bit silver on top. I hope you both enjoy many more miles on your new bikes.
08-02-2019, 07:06 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

great news !!! all the best to you both ! dave m
08-02-2019, 10:34 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Looks like a great bike! Good to be back at it injury is never good, but getting back is allways good!
08-02-2019, 12:08 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So happy for her, and you!
08-02-2019, 12:22 PM   #12
Pentaxian

A wonderful picture and I know it means a lot to you and your wife.

One of my life lessons.... something my dad taught me many years ago, was the importance of getting back on the horse again, particularly after experiencing a serious challenge or setback in life.

Not all of us can do that, but kudos to your wife for being one who can.

Les
08-02-2019, 06:56 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Back in the saddle, indeed! Thanks for posting this inspiring and heartwarming story. Best wishes to both of you for many more miles.

- Craig
Thanks so much, Craig - I really appreciate your kind words.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
New Bike Day! Woo-hoo!!

I'm sorry to read about your wife's accident. As a keen road cyclist myself, I know all too well how dangerous it can be out there.
I've done 20,467.5km on my carbon bike so far and absolutely love it.

Do remember to post a photo of your bike - and remember: If it's not on strava, the ride did not happen!
Thanks, Mark. Connie's accident was horrific - but we're back in business now. We road 10 miles together this morning (we kept a sensible pace), and then I road another 6.5 miles on the good old Trek. I took delivery of the new guy, and road for about 2.5 miles in the SE Texas heat this afternoon - I'm excited! I can't wait to hit the road tomorrow before the the fever gets too high. I know nothing about strava - I believe only the data my iPhone and Apple Watch tell me.

I'll post some shots of the new hot rod soon.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Gosh, what an awful thing to happen. Didn't the driver of the pick up truck see her? Was the driver of the truck drunk or on drugs? Was she ever cited for causing the accident?

So glad that your wife has made a miraculous recovery. "Happy Trails" to you both and God Bless.

TT
I appreciate your comments, my friend. The driver was an old woman (considerably older than us!! ) who simply wasn't paying attention.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Great story and photo - congrats and happy riding!
Thanks, Paul. BTW, I'm wanting some of your great car shots from Dallas!

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Wonderful news buddy. Enjoy your trips together Jer.
Thanks, Peter - I really appreciate it.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Looks like a mean machine, what's the BPP (Brake Pedal Power) on it?
Buddy, you're just like me and get right to the brass tacks!! Connie produces 35 BBP; I produce 72.5 BBP.

Jer

---------- Post added 08-02-2019 at 11:11 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
What an amazing woman your wife is Jer. An accident like that can be hard for anyone to come back from and it takes so much more courage for those of it getting just a bit silver on top. I hope you both enjoy many more miles on your new bikes.
Thanks, Susan, for the wonderfully thoughtful comments. You always say just the right thing.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
great news !!! all the best to you both ! dave m
Hey, Buddy, thanks much!! We'll be making a quick trip to Enfield CT in a couple of weeks to see our daughter, son-in-law and . . . . . . . . . . 15-month-old granddaughter. I'd still like to meet up with you when we're going to be there for sufficient time to buzz over your way. I'd love for you to give us a "tour" of Newport (a place I love), and I'll buy the cold ones!!

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Looks like a great bike! Good to be back at it injury is never good, but getting back is allways good!
Right on!! Thanks for you thoughtful reply.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by grog85361 Quote
So happy for her, and you!
We appreciate it!!

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
A wonderful picture and I know it means a lot to you and your wife.

One of my life lessons.... something my dad taught me many years ago, was the importance of getting back on the horse again, particularly after experiencing a serious challenge or setback in life.

Not all of us can do that, but kudos to your wife for being one who can.

Les

Hey, Les. It's taken a long time to overcome the physical issues as well as the frightening memories, but we're moving' on and ridin' hard!

Jer
08-02-2019, 08:44 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jer

Jer,

Great to see your wife back on the bike after recovery. It takes a special kind of courage to overcome trauma of this nature. Especially as we age. I mountain bike myself (just bought a Specialized S-Works SJ last Xmas) because I’m largely untrusting of drivers on the road. While most drivers give you the 4 feet required by law, many don’t give you any. On the rare time I use a road for connecting trails I have a high intensity multi colored strobe that grabs a drivers attention from a long way off. It’s worked so far.

A great story of grit and courage. My best wishes for you both.

Stephen

Last edited by SCGushue; 08-02-2019 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Tech
08-02-2019, 08:52 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks, Mark. Connie's accident was horrific - but we're back in business now. We road 10 miles together this morning (we kept a sensible pace), and then I road another 6.5 miles on the good old Trek. I took delivery of the new guy, and road for about 2.5 miles in the SE Texas heat this afternoon - I'm excited! I can't wait to hit the road tomorrow before the the fever gets too high. I know nothing about strava - I believe only the data my iPhone and Apple Watch tell me.

I'll post some shots of the new hot rod soon.

Jer
Well done. We had terrible weather this morning so I did not go for a ride today. Hopefully, tomorrow's better!

If you're interested, you can link your Apple watch to strava. See Log In | Strava
« Tadpoles | Rainbow »