Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
6 Likes  #1
Yellowstone/Grand Teton
Posted By: pcarfan, 08-05-2019, 05:46 PM

Most of these were taken with the Sigma 50-500mm...the other lenses were Pentax 12-24/4 and there may be some shots with the Tamron 17-50/2.8. Exif is intact. K-5, K-7 body...obviously not abstract, don’t know how to change that.

July/2019 trip...it was a family trip and not a photography trip. So, no tripod and just some shots I took as we were enjoying the area. I was there in 2010 with all the best gear and this time I decided to settle for some quick shots.

Last edited by pcarfan; 08-05-2019 at 05:52 PM.
Views: 426
08-05-2019, 06:19 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
We were there in July as well, a "windshield" tour with family. Would LOVE to go back and spend a week hiking/camping with the intent being more photography oriented. Stayed at Old Faithful Inn.

Wonderful pictures BTW.

Tim
08-05-2019, 08:40 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
Most of these were taken with the Sigma 50-500mm...the other lenses were Pentax 12-24/4 and there may be some shots with the Tamron 17-50/2.8. Exif is intact. K-5, K-7 body...obviously not abstract, don’t know how to change that.

July/2019 trip...it was a family trip and not a photography trip. So, no tripod and just some shots I took as we were enjoying the area. I was there in 2010 with all the best gear and this time I decided to settle for some quick shots.

Very nice. I enjoyed these park and Tetons when I lived nearby in the Dakotas. A very good collection of the big mammals in the park. Just missing elk, moose, wolves, foxes, beavers....... That alone will justify another trip back to Yellowstone in the future.

Great post.

Stephen
08-06-2019, 04:35 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fuzzyphotos Quote
We were there in July as well, a "windshield" tour with family. Would LOVE to go back and spend a week hiking/camping with the intent being more photography oriented. Stayed at Old Faithful Inn.

Wonderful pictures BTW.

Tim
Thanks

---------- Post added 08-06-2019 at 04:46 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by SCGushue Quote
Very nice. I enjoyed these park and Tetons when I lived nearby in the Dakotas. A very good collection of the big mammals in the park. Just missing elk, moose, wolves, foxes, beavers....... That alone will justify another trip back to Yellowstone in the future.

Great post.

Stephen
Actually we saw all of those except beavers in this trip, the images weren’t that great

We saw large herds of elk too, but this was a close up.

Believe it’s a female Bighorn sheep (need some color correction)

Just to show we saw bear and wolves on a carcass

May be we should go back a 3rd time to get better photos, lol...

Last edited by pcarfan; 08-06-2019 at 04:47 AM.
08-06-2019, 05:12 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great set of photos! I used to go into the park frequently back when I was in college in Bozeman, MT. It was always an amazing experience. I have wanted to go back in the fall, which I think would be the best time for photography since the crowds are gone. I hope to do it one of these years.
08-06-2019, 06:23 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Amazing photos of an amazing place! Super job.

Jer
08-06-2019, 09:09 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Great set of photos! I used to go into the park frequently back when I was in college in Bozeman, MT. It was always an amazing experience. I have wanted to go back in the fall, which I think would be the best time for photography since the crowds are gone. I hope to do it one of these years.
Thank you!

In 2010 crowd wasn’t a major issue other than at Old Faithful. This year at certain times there’s big city traffic to get out of villages....I think they have like 100X more rooms in Canyon now. Also busses of tourists jostling for spot at the Grand Canyon areas.

However, Lamar, Hayden and Dunraven areas were great...probably even more animal activities, even close to lodges. It’s definitely worth a visit. I did not find the geyser/thermal area too crowded either. Only the villages and the Grand canyon part. Magical place...

Do you think Montana beef is better than what you get in the east coast? We had a ribeye on a small place in downtown Bozeman and it was out of this world...being a college student at that time,, I don’t know you’ll know the answer (if it was anything like my college days, lol)...just curious.

---------- Post added 08-06-2019 at 09:09 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Amazing photos of an amazing place! Super job.

Jer
Love Yellowstone!....thank you!

Last edited by pcarfan; 08-06-2019 at 01:47 PM.
08-06-2019, 09:20 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Dude, the shots you ‘settled for’ are excellent!

08-06-2019, 10:12 AM   #9
Pentaxian

A wide range of wonderful wildlife photos, you have presented. My wife and I were in Yellowstone about 3 years ago. Quite a place, it was on our bucket list.
08-06-2019, 11:25 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Dude, the shots you Ďsettled forí are excellent!

Thanks...I guess I was speaking as compared to 2010. That time, not only did I take my tripod, I had multiple primes in my photo vest, with various ND corking filters and polarizer - my wife had to kept waiting for me. This time, we went with 4 others and I did not want photography to get in the way. I still managed to take 2,000 photos

---------- Post added 08-06-2019 at 11:27 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
A wide range of wonderful wildlife photos, you have presented. My wife and I were in Yellowstone about 3 years ago. Quite a place, it was on our bucket list.
Only YSNP/GTNP and GC have we visited more than once .... it is quite a place, especially if you spent some days there and go out early and return late.
08-06-2019, 03:37 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A most enjoyable and well photographed series. Looks like you folks had a wonderful experience.

TT
08-06-2019, 04:23 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nicely done. You captured the essence of YNP and GTNP.
08-06-2019, 06:47 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
Do you think Montana beef is better than what you get in the east coast? We had a ribeye on a small place in downtown Bozeman and it was out of this world...being a college student at that time,, I donít know youíll know the answer (if it was anything like my college days, lol)...just curious.
Ha! you just brought a smile to my face In college we lived on turkey legs for probably about fifty cents a piece and fresh trout that we caught regularly. However, I grew up in the country outside of Great Falls, and we ate ribeye steaks every week that were always from a neighbors beef ranch (we had no cattle, just horses).
08-07-2019, 04:50 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
A most enjoyable and well photographed series. Looks like you folks had a wonderful experience.

TT
Yellowstone is a fantastic, surreal part of this planet, shaped by that huge caldera below it. I donít think any other parts of the world has so much condensed into such a small area...amazing lakes, mountains, water falls, geysers, thermal pool and the fantastic wildlife - got to be a nature loverís paradise.

---------- Post added 08-07-2019 at 04:51 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Nicely done. You captured the essence of YNP and GTNP.
Wow, high praise indeed, coming from someone local...thank you so much, you made my day!

---------- Post added 08-07-2019 at 04:53 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Ha! you just brought a smile to my face In college we lived on turkey legs for probably about fifty cents a piece and fresh trout that we caught regularly. However, I grew up in the country outside of Great Falls, and we ate ribeye steaks every week that were always from a neighbors beef ranch (we had no cattle, just horses).

According to me and my BIL, thereís definitely something special about Montana beef - May be the grass and the water. The meat and the fat had a fantastic taste - thank to the cook didnít spoil it.