Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Austin Healey Sprite
Lens: DFA 28-105@28 Camera: K-1 Photo Location: Lake Jackson, TX ISO: 3200 Shutter Speed: 1/30s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: Sailor, 08-06-2019, 09:32 AM

Here's another shot from a local "Autofest" held a few weeks ago. This little Sprite, which I think was virtually identical to the MG Midget, is a little over decorated for my taste, but it's still a neat little car.

Jer

Views: 952
08-06-2019, 10:08 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Nice photo of a fine little sports job from way back.

They are nice...those little 'Spridgets' as some called them. You're right Jer, the A-H Sprite and the MG Midget were very similar..I think they were called 'badge engineered in G.B.

Years ago, I had a work colleague, who was from the states and I remember the stories he told me about his first generation A-H Sprite, with a souped up Chevy 327 cube (5300cc) V8 he installed in place of the little 948cc original 4 banger. He also had a 4 speed Muncie, manual transmission in the little frogeyed Sprite. He said it would get wheelspin on fast shifts to fourth at over 100 mph with that Chevy V8 revving high.

I think my response was something along the lines of Gadzooks !

I don't know how the Sprite handled or braked with this kind of power...which would be well over what Austin Healey had in mind when they designed the car.
08-06-2019, 11:55 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A high school friend had a bug eyed sprite which we crammed eight small teenagers and drove maybe a hundred feet before anyone suffocated . In the 60's car cramming was a big albeit short termed craze .

Last edited by pichaser; 08-06-2019 at 11:56 AM. Reason: spelling correction
08-06-2019, 03:31 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nicely done and fun to view.

TT

08-07-2019, 01:10 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Nice photo of a fine little sports job from way back.

They are nice...those little 'Spridgets' as some called them. You're right Jer, the A-H Sprite and the MG Midget were very similar..I think they were called 'badge engineered in G.B.

Years ago, I had a work colleague, who was from the states and I remember the stories he told me about his first generation A-H Sprite, with a souped up Chevy 327 cube (5300cc) V8 he installed in place of the little 948cc original 4 banger. He also had a 4 speed Muncie, manual transmission in the little frogeyed Sprite. He said it would get wheelspin on fast shifts to fourth at over 100 mph with that Chevy V8 revving high.

I think my response was something along the lines of Gadzooks !

I don't know how the Sprite handled or braked with this kind of power...which would be well over what Austin Healey had in mind when they designed the car.
Hey, Les. From my Mazda MX-5/Miata days (I owned 3 of 'em sequentially from '95 to 2009), I remember reading about a popular modification to the car in which the 4-cyl was replaced with a Windsor 302. According to some, the V-8 wasn't a lot heavier than the 4-banger, so that the car's handling was not adversely affected. Whether such is true - I've no idea.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by pichaser Quote
A high school friend had a bug eyed sprite which we crammed eight small teenagers and drove maybe a hundred feet before anyone suffocated . In the 60's car cramming was a big albeit short termed craze .
Yeah, I remember that fad - I've always been a bit claustrophobic, so I was never to impressed with the idea.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Very nicely done and fun to view.

TT
I'm glad you like it, Tony.

Jer
08-07-2019, 03:30 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is the sports car ladies liked!
08-07-2019, 04:11 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
This is the sports car ladies liked!
Dammit, EM - now you tell me!!

Jer

11-19-2023, 06:16 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Here's another shot from a local "Autofest" held a few weeks ago. This little Sprite, which I think was virtually identical to the MG Midget, is a little over decorated for my taste, but it's still a neat little car.

Jer

Wow - that's nice car !
11-19-2023, 09:17 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by henrikpedersen33 Quote
Wow - that's nice car !
Another blast from the past. The Sprite was, indeed, a cutie in its day!

Jer
11-19-2023, 09:24 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Beautiful shot, Jer. It's amazing how small all the sports cars from that era were. Cramped quarters!
11-20-2023, 09:24 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Beautiful shot, Jer. It's amazing how small all the sports cars from that era were. Cramped quarters!
They were pretty, tiny, for sure. I learned to drive in a Morris Minor Convertible (1958) - not quite as small as a Midget but definitely diminutive.

Jer
11-20-2023, 09:35 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Snazzy looking for sure. Would be hard not to notice driving by. Sometime in the mid 60's my sister's boyfriend had a couple of little sports cars. One was an Austin Healey. Don't remember if it was a Sprite but the name does sound familiar. Sister's first car was a yellow Triumph TR3.
11-20-2023, 11:44 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
Snazzy looking for sure. Would be hard not to notice driving by. Sometime in the mid 60's my sister's boyfriend had a couple of little sports cars. One was an Austin Healey. Don't remember if it was a Sprite but the name does sound familiar. Sister's first car was a yellow Triumph TR3.
I wanted a roadster badly during the late '60s, but buying one was not to be for numerous reasons. I made up for it later with Miatas, Porsche Boxsters and these days, my 911. None are practical, but they're certainly a lot of fun.

Jer
11-20-2023, 12:40 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You got a fun shot from that museum trip.
A lot of good responses.
Angky
11-20-2023, 05:56 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
You got a fun shot from that museum trip.
A lot of good responses.
Angky
It was fun, indeed, Angky! Actually, it was a car show - some of which was inside an empty store in the local mall. It's always a joy to talk to the owners of these cars.

Jer