Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
16 Likes  #1
Fox__Renard
Lens: adapted canon 500 F4 Camera: K3 Photo Location: France 
Posted By: stargazer, 08-13-2019, 02:25 PM

--Fox on a field-- Taken on a winter morning.
Material used = canon EF 500mm F4 on a K3 (focus manual and aperture @f4)

Views: 1,073
08-13-2019, 02:34 PM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow. That's an absolutely terrific photo artistically and technically... Really and truly beautiful. And manual focus, you say? Outstanding...
08-13-2019, 03:14 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Ahhh...Mr. Fox...no doubt looking for some mischief to get into.

Well done. Lovely photo...simple background...subject has an interesting expression on his/her face. I like it !
08-13-2019, 11:59 PM - 2 Likes   #4

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Wow. That's an absolutely terrific photo artistically and technically... Really and truly beautiful. And manual focus, you say? Outstanding...
Thanks! ...and yes manual focus! I must admit 90% of my lenses are manual focus! Including the tamron 300/2.8 and some smc , tair , even a M45 500/F4.5 from pentax! It demands a lot of breading control and a lot of practice! The canon 500/4 had the motor taken (faulty) and turned into manual focus, the aperture is 'hacked' by using different cardboard sizes with a hole the size of the aperture i need and placed on the 'gel holder' part of the filter.

---------- Post added 08-14-19 at 09:11 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote

Well done. Lovely photo...simple background...subject has an interesting expression on his/her face. I like it !
Thanks lesmore49! Yes it is a nice pose! But there's an explanation to it! Mr Fox just sniffed the only photographer in the field! Unfortunately the wind was in my back, even if i was on a ditch with my feet in water and completely hidden by the vegetation he still picked my scent !!! (i don't use deodorant or wash my cloth with scented detergent, but i did had a nice mug of coffee in the morning... and that was enough for him to pick my scent on that cold morning)

---------- Post added 08-14-19 at 09:14 AM ----------

Last edited by stargazer; 08-14-2019 at 12:21 AM.
08-14-2019, 12:32 AM   #5
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shot and a good story to go with it. I know how animals are on scent. But I have a question. How did you adapt that Canon lens to go on the K-3? I thought the shorter Canon registration distance would make that impossible without some hacksaw work and fancy re-engineering?
08-14-2019, 05:13 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Wonderful photos! An amazing job of capturing the perfect pose in equally perfect lighting. Well done!
08-14-2019, 06:40 AM - 1 Like   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Nice shot and a good story to go with it. I know how animals are on scent. But I have a question. How did you adapt that Canon lens to go on the K-3? I thought the shorter Canon registration distance would make that impossible without some hacksaw work and fancy re-engineering?
Thanks PJ1 ! For the hack a simple and not so elegant solution; re-use a k mount from an old or damaged lens, remove canon mount, make an aluminum or stainless steel ring the diameter of the canon mount screw the k mount to the ring and then the ring to the lens et voila! Mind you there are no aperture control i just use a card board with a hole the size of the f-stop i want and place it on the filter holder. Not so elegant solution but it works !

---------- Post added 08-14-19 at 03:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Wonderful photos! An amazing job of capturing the perfect pose in equally perfect lighting. Well done!
Thank you ToddK ! The shot was taken a few minutes after sunrise on a very cold day .... it's the only way to get a clean image because once the sun starts to heat the fields, atmospheric aberration start to soften parts of your images ...

08-14-2019, 06:54 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You have certainly taken the path less traveled , thank you for the great photo.
08-14-2019, 07:08 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pichaser Quote
You have certainly taken the path less traveled , thank you for the great photo.
Thank you pichaser! A different photo from the same place but the weather was cloudy .

---------- Post added 08-14-19 at 04:11 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stargazer Quote
Thank you pichaser! A different photo from the same place but the weather was cloudy .
cloudy
08-14-2019, 11:43 AM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Fox__Renard
Indeed this is rather a fine image, well captured, beautiful colours throughout the frame.
08-14-2019, 12:16 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Originally posted by lesmore49 Quote

Thanks lesmore49! Yes it is a nice pose! But there's an explanation to it! Mr Fox just sniffed the only photographer in the field! Unfortunately the wind was in my back, even if i was on a ditch with my feet in water and completely hidden by the vegetation he still picked my scent !!! (i don't use deodorant or wash my cloth with scented detergent, but i did had a nice mug of coffee in the morning... and that was enough for him to pick my scent on that cold morning)
In our extended family, we have a very nice pet, who is a sled dog type, from Northern Canada. He's from an area which has a lot of wilderness. .

I have tried to hide things on him...dog treats, plastic toys, etc. you name it ...and I believe I have done a good job in finding places to secrete these objects. Alas I've never been successful...not even once....he ferrets them out immediately.

Yes, there is something about the canine ability to pick out scents that I find incredible.

Les
08-14-2019, 05:27 PM   #12

brilliant shot! that said, when I saw the title I was expecting a bassoon lol