Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
5 Likes  #1
1959 Lancia Aurelia B24S Convertible
Lens: DFA 28-105 @ 45 Camera: K-1 Photo Location: Seabrook, TX ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/350s Aperture: F9.5 
Posted By: Sailor, 08-14-2019, 07:12 PM

It's way too hot to do much photography around here, so I'm entertaining myself by continuing to PP stuff I took earlier in the year when one could breath without burning one's nostrils.

This is a shot of a Lancia Aurelia, which - as far as I can remember - I've never seen (nor ever heard of) until I encountered this 1959 convertible. This car (the internet tells me) was powered by a 112 HP V6, and to my eye is a cleanly styled beauty; too bad the removable hard top was in place when I shot the pic.

While I was photographing the car, it occurred to me that I was 13 years old when this vehicle was manufactured. That thought prompted the onset of some philosophical introspection, which - in turn - prompted a trip to the beer tent.

Jer

Views: 784
08-14-2019, 09:25 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
While I was photographing the car, it occurred to me that I was 13 years old when this vehicle was manufactured. That thought prompted the onset of some philosophical introspection, which - in turn - prompted a trip to the beer tent.
I agree with you, Jer. I also find there is nothing like a glass of beer to enhance bouts of philosophical introspection. I've never seen this Lancia model, but it does trigger a memory.

When I was about 11 years old, an elderly friend of the family asked my dad if he could install a TV aerial on the roof of his house. Which was fine, except his house was a large, three story.

My dad recruited me to assist him, as he scrambled onto the roof, with the aerial and tools. I recall looking down into the neighbouring yard. The street was a blend of old and new houses and the neighbour had a back court yard and used an old, restored carriage house as a garage. It was a mature, fashionable neighbourhood, as as real estate agent might describe it.

Sitting outside the carriage house, was a beautiful Facel Vega. I remember being wowed by it.

When I brought it up with the family friend, an older Englishman (Nottingham).. ..I recall he dismissed it summarily. After all, he was an Oldsmobile man.

Les
08-14-2019, 11:45 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Beautiful with such classic lines. These were certainly some wonderful vehicles to own and toodle through the countryside with. Unfortunately, their sales are not allowed outside of Italy now. Fiat

has owned them for some time now. A very lovely photograph.

Cheers,

TT
08-14-2019, 11:56 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
An envy creator

08-15-2019, 05:22 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I first saw your pic I thought it was a Borgward Isabella of the same year, a car I am very much familiar with as I know someone in Germany who has one in his 4 car Borgward collection.

The body style is very much of this era. There were lots in Europ that followed roughly the same line.

Last edited by Schraubstock; 10-31-2019 at 11:24 PM.
08-15-2019, 11:42 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I agree with you, Jer. I also find there is nothing like a glass of beer to enhance bouts of philosophical introspection. I've never seen this Lancia model, but it does trigger a memory.

When I was about 11 years old, an elderly friend of the family asked my dad if he could install a TV aerial on the roof of his house. Which was fine, except his house was a large, three story.

My dad recruited me to assist him, as he scrambled onto the roof, with the aerial and tools. I recall looking down into the neighbouring yard. The street was a blend of old and new houses and the neighbour had a back court yard and used an old, restored carriage house as a garage. It was a mature, fashionable neighbourhood, as as real estate agent might describe it.

Sitting outside the carriage house, was a beautiful Facel Vega. I remember being wowed by it.

When I brought it up with the family friend, an older Englishman (Nottingham).. ..I recall he dismissed it summarily. After all, he was an Oldsmobile man.

Les
Great recollection, Les. In the early '50s, we were the first adopter of the television on our street; the TV required a towering aerial given that we were 60 miles or more from St. Louis, from where signals originated. Reception was problematic in those days; I remember the antenna had a "rotor" - a motorized contrivance that allowed us to aim the thing to optimize signal. It worked . . . . . once in a while.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Beautiful with such classic lines. These were certainly some wonderful vehicles to own and toodle through the countryside with. Unfortunately, their sales are not allowed outside of Italy now. Fiat

has owned them for some time now. A very lovely photograph.

Cheers,

TT
Thanks, my friend.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
An envy creator
It is that, buddy.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
When I first saw your pic I thought it was a Borgward Isabella of the same year, a car I am very much familiar with as I know someone in Germany who has one in his 4 car Borgward collection.

The body style is very much of this era. There were lots in Europ that followed roughly the same line.
Borgward is a totally new marque to me. There is, indeed, some stylistic relationship between the two cars.

Jer
08-16-2019, 11:04 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
fine capture jer... a beautiful car... my first impression is that it reminds me of a studebaker hawk....
dave m

08-16-2019, 11:53 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
fine capture jer... a beautiful car... my first impression is that it reminds me of a studebaker hawk....
dave m
By golly, you're right, Dave - I didn't make that connection until you mentioned. Thanks for looking and the kind words.

Jer
08-16-2019, 02:31 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote

Beautiful car. I recall seeing one Borgward Isabella, many years ago in my town. I believe the dealer sold Borgward (not too many) and Jawa and CZ motorcycles way back when. He sold another brand, can't recall the name, but his stock in trade was West German and Czechoslovakian vehicles in those days.

In the '60's I had some Jawa and CZ motorcycles. Good bikes, solid, reliable.
08-17-2019, 02:22 AM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
1959 Lancia Aurelia B24S Convertible
What a strikingly good looking piece of automotive history, very well captured in this image.

Is it just me or is there an extra level of richness/sheen in the silver colour, something that we don't get on modern day paint finishes.
08-17-2019, 06:26 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
What a strikingly good looking piece of automotive history, very well captured in this image.

Is it just me or is there an extra level of richness/sheen in the silver colour, something that we don't get on modern day paint finishes.
Thanks much for the kind words, KD.

You're right - this car's paint is particularly rich, especially for silver. Part of the reason undoubtedly is due to the extensive preparation, with polishes, cleaners, glazes, etc., cars receive for a Concours of this level. Regarding the paint itself - I've no idea whether this car is original or whether it was restored (with new paint) at some point in its past. If it was restored, this will be a custom paint job, which can produce results not possible during mass production.

Jer