Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
A bikers meeting
Lens: 01 prime lens Camera: Q7 
Posted By: volley, 08-18-2019, 11:43 AM

This video in this link gives you an impression where I spend my rainy Saturday:

All in all I rode about 650km yesterday to participate in the yearly bikers meeting in a very small village at the German coast.
Part of the event is a ride with several hundred bikes through farmland and villages. I continue to be amazed how welcome bikers are in that area.
All other traffic is stopped when the group approaches; we cross red traffic lights (with permission of course - the other traffic must wait for 10 minutes...) and you'll see many friendly inhabitants and tourists waving to the riders.

Here are a few shots I took with the Q7 and the 01 prime lens

Views: 366
08-18-2019, 01:44 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I'm quite impressed with the quality of the photos using the Q7. I've never used one...or believe it or not...even seen one, but for a small sensor...excellent quality. Nice bikes too. That BMW R 11 looks to be in wonderful condition, considering it age. Well done resto I'm assuming.

The Yamaha with the twin front wheels...read about them, not seen one yet. Wonder what it would be like to ride ?
08-19-2019, 09:18 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I'm quite impressed with the quality of the photos using the Q7. I've never used one...or believe it or not...even seen one, but for a small sensor...excellent quality. Nice bikes too. That BMW R 11 looks to be in wonderful condition, considering it age. Well done resto I'm assuming.

The Yamaha with the twin front wheels...read about them, not seen one yet. Wonder what it would be like to ride ?
You are right, especially with the 01 prime lens (1.9/8.5mm) the quality is surprisingly good, as long as you can get away with moderate ISO values.
Yes, the R11 was nearly perfect, it almost hurts to see some rain drops on it.
I have some mixed feelings about the Yamaha. As a mechanical engineer I am impressed with the complex design of the front suspension and the "leaning mechanism". And I have spoken to a few guys who where absolutely impressed after some test rides. They all said that driving is just like on a normal motorbike and after just a few minutes they developed a lot of confidence at high leaning angles. But to me it looks quite "front heavy" ...

By the way, the oldest participant at the meeting was 86 years old, riding a BMW.
08-19-2019, 09:57 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
You are right, especially with the 01 prime lens (1.9/8.5mm) the quality is surprisingly good, as long as you can get away with moderate ISO values.
Yes, the R11 was nearly perfect, it almost hurts to see some rain drops on it.
I have some mixed feelings about the Yamaha. As a mechanical engineer I am impressed with the complex design of the front suspension and the "leaning mechanism". And I have spoken to a few guys who where absolutely impressed after some test rides. They all said that driving is just like on a normal motorbike and after just a few minutes they developed a lot of confidence at high leaning angles. But to me it looks quite "front heavy" ...

By the way, the oldest participant at the meeting was 86 years old, riding a BMW.
I've been a Yamaha fan since the '60's (back then, had a Yamaha YDS-3 sports twin) and still have my '78 (bought new) SR 500 'Thumper' as we call them out here. Yamaha have always been a company that has been a forerunner in engineering design, but I have some mixed feelings also, about the new twin front wheels. We have some poor roads out here and I would be uncertain how things like alignment, etc. would stand up. I think when it comes to motorcycles I prefer the traditional one front wheel, but that maybe because I'm set in my ways.....although I love some modern technology such as fuel injection, electric start..as many would, after experience with starting a kick start only 500cc single.

Your pix of the R ll looked quite good. We don't have too many vintage European motorcycles from the 1930's and earlier. From that time period almost invariably they are old Indians, Harleys and the very occasional Henderson, etc...as in that time period, it was mostly just American motorcycles that were available, with some early British bikes imported.

Again great pictures.

Les