Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
10 Likes  #1
The Pelican
Posted By: Colorado CJ, 08-19-2019, 11:08 AM

We had a clear night last Monday, so I decided to shoot the Pelican Nebula for the first time.

It was a cool clear night and I laid back and watched the meteor shower while the scope was doing its thing.

This is a pretty neat looking nebula with large dust jets made by proto-stars. This is what Nasa APOD has to say about the nebula.

QuoteQuote:
The prominent ridge of emission featured in this vivid skyscape is designated IC 5067. Part of a larger emission region with a distinctive shape, popularly called The Pelican Nebula, the ridge spans about 10 light-years and follows the curve of the cosmic pelican's head and neck. Fantastic, dark shapes inhabiting the view are clouds of cool gas and dust sculpted by energetic radiation from young, hot, massive stars. But stars are also forming within the dark shapes. Twin jets emerging from the tip of the long, dark tendril left of center are the telltale signs of an embedded protostar cataloged as Herbig-Haro 555 (HH 555). In fact, other Herbig-Haro objects indicating the presence of protostars are found within the frame. The Pelican Nebula itself, also known as IC 5070, is about 2,000 light-years away. To find it, look northeast of bright star Deneb in the high flying constellation Cygnus.

This was a short 4.6 hour integration shot in my Skywatcher MN190 telescope and ASI183MM Pro astro camera. This is a combination of 56, 300 second images shot through 3 narrow band filters, Hydrogen Alpha, Oxygen III and Sulfur II.

Views: 575
08-19-2019, 01:25 PM   #2

Thanks for sharing, stunning picture !
08-19-2019, 01:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

excellent astro shot !
08-19-2019, 02:28 PM   #4
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another beautiful image! Great colour and detail.

08-20-2019, 03:20 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fantastic work! The only thing I am missing is the true colour of the surrounding stars. It would be a lot more work, though, to get rid of all the stars and overlay an RGB image of just the stars. - Jack
08-20-2019, 05:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone!

Here is a larger version for those that want to look at the photo in detail. I also have some of my other larger photos hosted there.

Just click on the image and it will open Astrobin. Click on the image there and it will give you the full size photo.