Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Milkyway over Carlo Sand Blow, Rainbow Beach, Queensland, Australia
Lens: Pentax DFA 15-30mm/2.8 Camera: Pentax K-1 Photo Location: Rainbow Beach ISO: 1250 Shutter Speed: 1/45s Aperture: F2.8 
Posted By: cmohr, 09-01-2019, 01:47 AM

Finally got out to do some more Astro on the weekend. A little 550km round trip from Brisbane up to Rainbow Beach. Great darksky, waxing moon set at 630pm, and the Milkyway just jumped straight out of the sky. I was going to try a time-lapse movie, but just didn't have enough time onsite. Still amazed just how good the K-1 is at this. All single exposures, these are just the jpegs, with a little corrections done to pull out a bit of magenta from the sky. Was a bit of a challenge getting the sand blow itself and the Milkyway, Milkyway was directly overhead, so we hiked right over to the very edge of the blow, and down the front of it, to a cliff edge, where these pictures were taken, the outcrop you see is about 10metres up and infront of where we setup, directly behind us, a drop , pretty much straight down of about 30metres, It did feel quite precarious, there on the edge, on very soft sand, on a slope of 45deg, and evidence of a landslide collapse only 5metres ot our right. To get the outcrp to stand out a bit, I light painted with a quick flash of my headlamp. I was fairly happy with the results. Then, the climb back up the sand blow, well...... lets say, It took a LOT longer to getup than it did to get down there In the last photo, you can see a small bird flying through the capture, I think it was usung our light painting to catch bugs and moths our lights were attracting, I could hear it at the time, but never actually saw it.

Views: 1,270
09-01-2019, 06:03 AM   #2
Pentaxian

nice! the 4th appears to have a meteor! they are always neat to catch! reckon I should take the time to travel to get away from light pollution.....the places I visit have a good amount but are convenient …..whats in the last frame?
09-01-2019, 06:11 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
nice! the 4th appears to have a meteor! they are always neat to catch! reckon I should take the time to travel to get away from light pollution.....the places I visit have a good amount but are convenient …..whats in the last frame?
At first, we thought it was a bat, but could hear definate tweeting, I think it was maybe a finch or similar, also bats make more of a definite flapping sound than the fluttering of birds, (heard them a lot) so pretty sure it was a bird
09-01-2019, 06:14 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
so pretty sure it was a bird
ah ha! did not think of that! usually get the lil green trails of lightning bugs....neat!

09-01-2019, 06:16 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
nice! the 4th appears to have a meteor!
Probably a satellite. A meteor would be much brighter in the middle as it burns up.
09-01-2019, 07:09 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very nice set of photos. The Milky Way really shows well.
09-01-2019, 04:21 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
At first, we thought it was a bat, but could hear definate tweeting, I think it was maybe a finch or similar, also bats make more of a definite flapping sound than the fluttering of birds, (heard them a lot) so pretty sure it was a bird
A Dotterel maybe? Great series of photos by the way!

09-01-2019, 05:06 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Very nice set of photos. The Milky Way really shows well.
Thank you, Yes, the Galactic Centre just jumps right out in the right conditions. I was a little concerned if we would get anything , considering the small township of Rainbow Beach backs onto the Sand Blow, and there was a lot of Sea Spray/Mist in the air , but, all was good.

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
A Dotterel maybe? Great series of photos by the way!
Thank you, I really wish I had set-up the K-3ii to do a time-lapse whilst doing these with the K-1. But , definitely will try next time, in 4 weeks time.

Thanks for looking .

cmohr