Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
6 Likes  
Popular Observatory of Mont-Mégantic under the Milky Way
Posted By: Weevil, 09-04-2019, 12:30 AM

Observatoire populaire du Mont-Mégantic sous la Voie Lactée / Popular Observatory of Mont-Mégantic under the Milky Way (x-posted in the Irix Lens Club thread)

Parc National du Mont-Mégantic, Québec, CANADA

During an activity called "Popular Observatory Evening" proposed by the ASTROLab at Mont-Megantic, I rather choose to stay a bit apart and willing to capture the starfield and Milky Way on top of this magnificent mountain. Unfortunately, after a last-minute tripod change, I forgot to bring the appropriate quick release plate to fix the camera on that tripod head (damn!).

However, with the gear accessories I had on hand, like a couple of spring clips and an L-bracket, I was able to just stabilize my gear enough, I'd say in an hazardous way, in order to make those long exposure shots (30s and more @ ƒ/2.8 and ISO 1600 to 2500) in order to get quite nice shots of the Milky Way and surrounding starscapes.

Pentax K-1 (in bulb mode with ASTROTRACER enabled and calibrated) + Irix 15mm ƒ/2.4 Blackstone Lens

(Single frame)

30s @ ƒ/2.8 and ISO 2500

#pentax #astrotracer #k1

Observatoire populaire du Mont-Mégantic sous la Voie Lactée / Popular Observatory of Mont-Mégantic under the Milky Way

Last edited by Weevil; 09-04-2019 at 12:35 AM.
Views: 1,484
05-07-2021, 02:29 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Lovely. The observatory looks red hot! But that's the long exposure of course.

11-25-2023, 10:21 AM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote
Observatoire populaire du Mont-Mégantic sous la Voie Lactée / Popular Observatory of Mont-Mégantic under the Milky Way (x-posted in the Irix Lens Club thread)

Parc National du Mont-Mégantic, Québec, CANADA

During an activity called "Popular Observatory Evening" proposed by the ASTROLab at Mont-Megantic, I rather choose to stay a bit apart and willing to capture the starfield and Milky Way on top of this magnificent mountain. Unfortunately, after a last-minute tripod change, I forgot to bring the appropriate quick release plate to fix the camera on that tripod head (damn!).

However, with the gear accessories I had on hand, like a couple of spring clips and an L-bracket, I was able to just stabilize my gear enough, I'd say in an hazardous way, in order to make those long exposure shots (30s and more @ ƒ/2.8 and ISO 1600 to 2500) in order to get quite nice shots of the Milky Way and surrounding starscapes.

Pentax K-1 (in bulb mode with ASTROTRACER enabled and calibrated) + Irix 15mm ƒ/2.4 Blackstone Lens

(Single frame)

30s @ ƒ/2.8 and ISO 2500

#pentax #astrotracer #k1

Observatoire populaire du Mont-Mégantic sous la Voie Lactée / Popular Observatory of Mont-Mégantic under the Milky Way
Great night photo! Excellent composition. Thanks for sharing.
11-25-2023, 05:27 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks... cant believe it was 4 years back already!