Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
5 Likes  #1
Jeeps in the Alps
Lens: DA*16-50 Camera: K3 Photo Location: French/Italian Alps 
Posted By: crossed-up, 09-07-2019, 04:39 AM

Just sharing some snaps from my trip to the Alps a couple of weeks ago. We started in the UK midland, drove down through France and crossing into Italy and Switzerland, before returning via Germany and France again. The aim was to drive the Col De Sommelier, but this was closed when we got there so we went up to Monte Jafferau instead. I was concentrating on relaxing and just enjoying the trip rather than capturing every detail with the camera, so these are mostly just snaps taken when I had chance or was in the mood for picking the camera up.

All with the K3, DA*16-50 with a polarising filter.

Tignes

Heading to the Col De Sommelier

Track up to Monte Jafferau and the second highest Fort in Europe

The final climb to the fort.

Views: 663
09-07-2019, 04:53 AM   #2
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like it was an interesting trip and very nicely photographed. (Just took a few snaps on the way) Seriously, there is a good story in these and some good "product shots" for Jeep.
09-07-2019, 12:06 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I'm impressed with the photos...absolutely beautiful. The Jeep Renegades look great too...perfect for any difficult terrain you may have encountered. Also like the pix of the motorcycle...couldn't quite identify it, but it looked like a BMW F series G/S ?

Have you ever travelled through the Alps in the winter with your Jeeps ? If so, any special preparation to the vehicles ?
09-07-2019, 02:18 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks both. I took pretty much my whole set of gear (K3 bodies and lenses from 300m down to fisheye, and the Q) but in the end the K3 and 16-50 was all I ended up using once I got it out the bag.

Regarding the bikes, I'm no expert on them but they were, not surprisingly, mostly of the the 'adventure' variety. Looking more closer at the shot above it's too burred to make out the name but going off the shape and pannier racking and checking their website, I think it is actually a Royal Enfield Himalayan - I wasn't expecting that!

Just checked some of the others and there was quite a variety:

BMW

Husqvana

Honda

KTM

Lesmore, no I haven't been to the Alps in the winter and the tracks we drove are usually closed then due to snow and you legally have to have snow chains at that time of year. Our prep. was mostly AT tyres instead of the standard all season fitment (we had punctures with those in the Pyrenees.) The Jeeps are Trailhawks, so the most 'off road' equipped of the range so the rest of the mods was storage and comfort related like a fridge and cooking facilities, but also some self-recovery kit, tools and spares 'just in case'.

There were actually six of us travelling in three cars with included my nephews' Fiat Panda Trekking, but confined ourselves to the Jeeps for the off road days.

Last edited by crossed-up; 09-07-2019 at 02:24 PM.
09-08-2019, 09:55 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by crossed-up Quote
Lesmore, no I haven't been to the Alps in the winter and the tracks we drove are usually closed then due to snow and you legally have to have snow chains at that time of year. Our prep. was mostly AT tyres instead of the standard all season fitment (we had punctures with those in the Pyrenees.) The Jeeps are Trailhawks, so the most 'off road' equipped of the range so the rest of the mods was storage and comfort related like a fridge and cooking facilities, but also some self-recovery kit, tools and spares 'just in case'.
We have Jeep Renegades with the Trail Rated, Trailhawk package. There's a recent video of a Renegade so equipped, being tested in an an American online show...The Fast Lane. They put it through it's paces and I'm quite impressed with it's off road prowess.

I would say the AT (All Terrain) tires are the way to go. A member of our family has a Nissan Frontier (North American model) pickup with the Pro4X off road package which includes all terrain tires. Good tires for his 4 X 4 , as out here..we get almost half a year of snow, ice, extremely cold temps and when a snow storm has dumped a pile of snow, he needs to get to work and his truck does the job.

Looks like your very well equipped for adventures in the Alps. Your pix are exceptional, I enjoyed looking at them and I'm sure you access some beautiful, out of the way, off road areas, that you are able to access with the Jeeps.

Thx for the info and added pix of the adventure bikes. Interesting that it's a Royal Enfield, there have been some new, modernized models coming from that factory, as of late.
09-08-2019, 02:53 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A truly beautiful, scenic and interesting journey. Many thanks for posting.

TT
09-09-2019, 05:02 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
. Also like the pix of the motorcycle...couldn't quite identify it, but it looked like a BMW F series G/S ?
A reat set of shots, many thanks for sharing.
This gives my some further ideas for my next motorbike trip

@lesmore: looks like the fairly recently released "Royal Enfield Himalayan" to me.

09-09-2019, 12:49 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
A reat set of shots, many thanks for sharing.
This gives my some further ideas for my next motorbike trip

@lesmore: looks like the fairly recently released "Royal Enfield Himalayan" to me.
I think you're correct.

About 50 years ago, just after I had just finished high school, I wanted to go to Europe, get a BMW R50/2 (500cc ) or, if I could afford it..an R60/2 ...600cc Boxer twin and tour Europe...primarily the UK, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, and if I could get in...Czechoslovakia.

I wanted to make sure I travelled through the Alps. I never did, but this series of photos does take me back to that time, when a trip like that was on my bucket list.