Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Playing Peek-a-boo!
Lens: Pentax 55-300mm PLM Camera: Pentax KP Photo Location: Queensland ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F10 
Posted By: K2 to K50, 09-09-2019, 11:22 PM

I could hear him, but it took nearly fifteen minutes before I finally found him.

Name:  PETE0924 - OK, you got me!.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  143.9 KB

Views: 597
10-10-2019, 02:12 PM   #2
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
nice framing! I like the composition and colour! well done
10-11-2019, 01:39 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
I could hear him, but it took nearly fifteen minutes before I finally found him.
usually I find nothing, or next to nothing {such as a robin or a black-bird}, when I go chasing after a noise.
01-09-2020, 02:13 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I like this shot alot. I know you were the one looking for it but it really is a peekaboo shot as it is the one looking at you! Its actually a very lucky shot.Most wild birds are not curious like that except corvids.. They would usually fly away at possible predators... this one looks like its curious what you are. Do you know what kind it is?
AL

01-09-2020, 03:06 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
I like this shot alot. I know you were the one looking for it but it really is a peekaboo shot as it is the one looking at you! Its actually a very lucky shot.Most wild birds are not curious like that except corvids.. They would usually fly away at possible predators... this one looks like its curious what you are. Do you know what kind it is?
AL
Thanks, brewmaster. I believe it is a juvenile blue-faced honeyeater as the blue streak around the eye is not strongly coloured. I originally ID'd it as an Australian Figbird, because these are common around the trees in my neighbour's back yard, but its chest is too white. I had heard it calling, and starting trying an imitating whistle, which it kept answering!! I just kept this up until I found it.

Here is another shot I got of it, I think before he started looking back at me!!

Name:  PETE0922.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  147.9 KB

And this link is what I used to decide it is a juvenile Blue-faced Honeyeater
juvenile blue faced honeyeater - Google Search
01-09-2020, 05:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Thats a cool looking bird. I would love a crack at photographing them.. .. sigh... someday! Tfs.
01-09-2020, 06:00 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very good eye to spot that fella and be able to get him in such a nice photo.

01-09-2020, 06:55 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
nice framing! I like the composition and colour! well done
Thanks FozzFoster: I think most of the credit for the framing goes to the bird's choice of perch!

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
usually I find nothing, or next to nothing {such as a robin or a black-bird}, when I go chasing after a noise.
I know that feeling. Walked through many bush areas with bellbird sounds all around me - but spot one?? Huh.

QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
Thats a cool looking bird. I would love a crack at photographing them.. .. sigh... someday! Tfs.
I have on other shot, of an adult, at a different location - but I had forgotten to turn Shake Reduction back on after taking the camera off the tripod - result: motion blur! Grrrr!

QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Very good eye to spot that fella and be able to get him in such a nice photo.
Thanks ToddK - it really did take ten at least ten minutes of walking from one side to the other of that (quite densely foliaged) tree before I finally got that little "peep-hole" view of him,