Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
8 Likes  #1
Here are a few more of.........
Lens: 100 macro Camera: K 3 Photo Location: Canada 
Posted By: Heinrich Lohmann, 09-15-2019, 07:20 PM

……of the back yard critters

Plant Bug inside a Nusturstium

Comments are always welcome and appreciated.
Views: 783
09-15-2019, 07:26 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Great shots, those Insects are keeping you busy.
09-15-2019, 09:27 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Really good shots Heinrich! They must like you and your camera
09-15-2019, 09:41 PM   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Simply outstanding, Heinrich... Excellent work indeed. Thank you for sharing

09-16-2019, 02:24 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Heinrich, I want you banned! Just when I have started to feel satisfied with some of my photographs, along you come with shots like these! Well, back to the drawing board........

These are all absolutely amazing, but I like the second-last shot of the bee on the yellow flower the most - not seen a bee like that, with black and white markings. How do you get such crisp, clear shots?
09-16-2019, 06:49 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great series Heinrich. So many interesting little creatures just outside our doors.
09-16-2019, 07:23 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Textbook perfect, Heinrich. And Dave (DW58) makes a great point - beauty and wonder is all around us if we look closely enough. It takes a first-class photographer like you to make it come alive!

Jer

09-17-2019, 12:43 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Great shots, those Insects are keeping you busy.
Thank you EM, there's relief in sight, bug season is almost over.

QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Really good shots Heinrich! They must like you and your camera
Thank you kindly Todd

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Simply outstanding, Heinrich... Excellent work indeed. Thank you for sharing
Thank you and you are welcome, glad that you enjoyed them.

QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
Heinrich, I want you banned! Just when I have started to feel satisfied with some of my photographs, along you come with shots like these! Well, back to the drawing board........

These are all absolutely amazing, but I like the second-last shot of the bee on the yellow flower the most - not seen a bee like that, with black and white markings. How do you get such crisp, clear shots?
Thank you and don't be discouraged, it's not rocket science. I use a home made diffuser, not my invention, Member "Rense" posted the instructions a number of years ago.

QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
Great series Heinrich. So many interesting little creatures just outside our doors.
Thank you kindly and you are right, we only see a fraction of what is out there.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Textbook perfect, Heinrich. And Dave (DW58) makes a great point - beauty and wonder is all around us if we look closely enough. It takes a first-class photographer like you to make it come alive!

Jer
Hi Jer and thank you. There are an are an abundance of tiny critters that make for good photographs but a lot of them are a destructive little bunch.
09-17-2019, 07:01 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Thank you EM, there's relief in sight, bug season is almost over.

Thank you and don't be discouraged, it's not rocket science. I use a home made diffuser, not my invention, Member "Rense" posted the instructions a number of years ago.

I saw something like that in a video I was referred to by someone in another thread. It sure ain't elegant, but that's not the point, is it: it WORKS, which is very much the point. Heinrich, are you using that with just the camera's own pop-up flash,and is the inside of the tube lined with the same reflective material as the outside? And if you don't mind all these questions, what sort of material have you used at the front of the tube ?

Apologies for all the questions.
09-18-2019, 06:45 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I saw something like that in a video I was referred to by someone in another thread. It sure ain't elegant, but that's not the point, is it: it WORKS, which is very much the point. Heinrich, are you using that with just the camera's own pop-up flash,and is the inside of the tube lined with the same reflective material as the outside? And if you don't mind all these questions, what sort of material have you used at the front of the tube ?

Apologies for all the questions.
No need for apologies, unless you ask how would you know?

It fits over the built in flash which is powerful enough at ISO100 at f:18 at minimum focus distance for a clean exposure. Play with the flash settings.

Building material is any flat cardboard of appropriate size, I line the inside with Aluminum foil. Around the cardboard tube I use enough Duct tape to make the whole thing sort of stable. The diffusing material in the front is from some packing material, depending on how heavy it is I use 1 or 2 layers.

Hope that this is of some help to you.
09-18-2019, 08:49 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you very much Heinrich for your quick and courteous reply. For the most part I have shot my macros without flash - but this might just add that little bit of extra crispness without the flash shadows from a bare flash.
09-19-2019, 06:52 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All are outstanding but the second one takes my breath away!
09-19-2019, 07:40 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Wow, these photos are exceptional! And thank you Heinrich so much for sharing how you made this diffuser. The results are proof of what it can do. Love it.
09-19-2019, 09:00 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you very much Heinrich for your quick and courteous reply. For the most part I have shot my macros without flash - but this might just add that little bit of extra crispness without the flash shadows from a bare flash.
You are welcome.

QuoteOriginally posted by pbancr Quote
All are outstanding but the second one takes my breath away!
Thank you for your kind words

QuoteOriginally posted by jack002 Quote
Wow, these photos are exceptional! And thank you Heinrich so much for sharing how you made this diffuser. The results are proof of what it can do. Love it.
Thank you kindly and you are welcome..