Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
8 Likes  #1
Here are a few more of.........
Lens: 100 macro Camera: K 3 Photo Location: Canada 
Posted By: Heinrich Lohmann, 09-15-2019, 07:20 PM

……of the back yard critters





Plant Bug inside a Nusturstium










Comments are always welcome and appreciated.
Views: 434
09-15-2019, 07:26 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
eaglem's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Perth Western Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 32,933
Great shots, those Insects are keeping you busy.
09-15-2019, 09:27 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,230
Really good shots Heinrich! They must like you and your camera
09-15-2019, 09:41 PM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North-East of England
Posts: 13,286
Simply outstanding, Heinrich... Excellent work indeed. Thank you for sharing

09-16-2019, 02:24 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
K2 to K50's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Ipswich QLD Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 279
Heinrich, I want you banned! Just when I have started to feel satisfied with some of my photographs, along you come with shots like these! Well, back to the drawing board........

These are all absolutely amazing, but I like the second-last shot of the bee on the yellow flower the most - not seen a bee like that, with black and white markings. How do you get such crisp, clear shots?
09-16-2019, 06:49 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
DW58's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Posts: 4,477
Great series Heinrich. So many interesting little creatures just outside our doors.
09-16-2019, 07:23 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Sailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Coastal Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 21,120
Textbook perfect, Heinrich. And Dave (DW58) makes a great point - beauty and wonder is all around us if we look closely enough. It takes a first-class photographer like you to make it come alive!

Jer
09-17-2019, 12:43 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Heinrich Lohmann's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Airdrie, Alberta Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 7,302
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Great shots, those Insects are keeping you busy.
Thank you EM, there's relief in sight, bug season is almost over.

QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Really good shots Heinrich! They must like you and your camera
Thank you kindly Todd

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Simply outstanding, Heinrich... Excellent work indeed. Thank you for sharing
Thank you and you are welcome, glad that you enjoyed them.

QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
Heinrich, I want you banned! Just when I have started to feel satisfied with some of my photographs, along you come with shots like these! Well, back to the drawing board........

These are all absolutely amazing, but I like the second-last shot of the bee on the yellow flower the most - not seen a bee like that, with black and white markings. How do you get such crisp, clear shots?
Thank you and don't be discouraged, it's not rocket science. I use a home made diffuser, not my invention, Member "Rense" posted the instructions a number of years ago.



QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
Great series Heinrich. So many interesting little creatures just outside our doors.
Thank you kindly and you are right, we only see a fraction of what is out there.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Textbook perfect, Heinrich. And Dave (DW58) makes a great point - beauty and wonder is all around us if we look closely enough. It takes a first-class photographer like you to make it come alive!

Jer
Hi Jer and thank you. There are an are an abundance of tiny critters that make for good photographs but a lot of them are a destructive little bunch.

09-17-2019, 07:01 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
K2 to K50's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Ipswich QLD Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 279
QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Thank you EM, there's relief in sight, bug season is almost over.

Thank you and don't be discouraged, it's not rocket science. I use a home made diffuser, not my invention, Member "Rense" posted the instructions a number of years ago.

I saw something like that in a video I was referred to by someone in another thread. It sure ain't elegant, but that's not the point, is it: it WORKS, which is very much the point. Heinrich, are you using that with just the camera's own pop-up flash,and is the inside of the tube lined with the same reflective material as the outside? And if you don't mind all these questions, what sort of material have you used at the front of the tube ?

Apologies for all the questions.
09-18-2019, 06:45 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Heinrich Lohmann's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Airdrie, Alberta Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 7,302
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
I saw something like that in a video I was referred to by someone in another thread. It sure ain't elegant, but that's not the point, is it: it WORKS, which is very much the point. Heinrich, are you using that with just the camera's own pop-up flash,and is the inside of the tube lined with the same reflective material as the outside? And if you don't mind all these questions, what sort of material have you used at the front of the tube ?

Apologies for all the questions.
No need for apologies, unless you ask how would you know?

It fits over the built in flash which is powerful enough at ISO100 at f:18 at minimum focus distance for a clean exposure. Play with the flash settings.

Building material is any flat cardboard of appropriate size, I line the inside with Aluminum foil. Around the cardboard tube I use enough Duct tape to make the whole thing sort of stable. The diffusing material in the front is from some packing material, depending on how heavy it is I use 1 or 2 layers.

Hope that this is of some help to you.
09-18-2019, 08:49 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
K2 to K50's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Ipswich QLD Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 279
Thank you very much Heinrich for your quick and courteous reply. For the most part I have shot my macros without flash - but this might just add that little bit of extra crispness without the flash shadows from a bare flash.
09-19-2019, 06:52 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
pbancr's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Essex, Connecticut
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,357
All are outstanding but the second one takes my breath away!
09-19-2019, 07:40 AM   #13
Pentaxian
jack002's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Missouri
Photos: Albums
Posts: 456
Wow, these photos are exceptional! And thank you Heinrich so much for sharing how you made this diffuser. The results are proof of what it can do. Love it.
09-19-2019, 09:00 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Heinrich Lohmann's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Airdrie, Alberta Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 7,302
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
Thank you very much Heinrich for your quick and courteous reply. For the most part I have shot my macros without flash - but this might just add that little bit of extra crispness without the flash shadows from a bare flash.
You are welcome.

QuoteOriginally posted by pbancr Quote
All are outstanding but the second one takes my breath away!
Thank you for your kind words

QuoteOriginally posted by jack002 Quote
Wow, these photos are exceptional! And thank you Heinrich so much for sharing how you made this diffuser. The results are proof of what it can do. Love it.
Thank you kindly and you are welcome..
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, photo
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Its here! It's here! did you hear it's here! ukwoody Pentax K-5 6 11-24-2011 07:09 AM
New to here! Semper Fi! Here to learn more about Astrophotography GWARmachine Welcomes and Introductions 6 09-13-2011 05:29 AM
Here are a few more from Northern Ontario....... Heinrich Lohmann Post Your Photos! 10 11-14-2008 08:31 PM
a few new photos (more than a few actually) lukastrika Post Your Photos! 4 03-23-2008 06:58 PM
It's been a few weeks Here are a few for ya Petthefish Post Your Photos! 9 11-03-2007 10:41 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:54 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top