Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Limited on a K-3ii or Kit Lens on a K-30?
Lens: TBD Camera: TBD Photo Location: Gro▀glockner High Alpine Road, Austria ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/1000s Aperture: F4.5 
Posted By: ThorSanchez, 09-17-2019, 04:56 AM

I have two photographs here of the same subject from a slightly different perspective. Both processed to taste using RawTherapee 5.5.

One of them was taken by a 48-year-old with eight or nine years of experience with DSLRs with a K-3ii in manual mode with a 21mm Limited*. The other by an 11-year-old with little photographic experience on a K-30 in green mode with an 18-55mm kit lens.

Can you tell which is which without digging around in links for the EXIF data? How?

* actually, I'm not 100% sure this wasn't taken with a 20-40 limited, but I don't have the RAW file with full EXIF to verify. I'll look it up later.

* Edit: I'm sure it was the 21mm limited. This picture is one of a series that were all at exactly 21mm, that wouldn't have happened with the 20-40.

Last edited by ThorSanchez; 09-17-2019 at 09:14 AM.
Views: 382
09-17-2019, 06:29 AM   #2
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FOV makes me think that the bottom image was the K-30 with kit lens. I also think that the top image shows a bit better contrast. If they were SOOC Jpeg it might be easier.
09-17-2019, 08:59 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
FOV makes me think that the bottom image was the K-30 with kit lens.
I cheated after reading your post and followed the links to Flickr, but the key thing is that the old guy moved closer to the car and took a traditional side shoot to show the car's lines and treated the mountainous scene as unimportant background. The kid was paying attention to the mountains and put the car in the scene for context.

Once I had read the EXIF, I noticed the difference in how the car's colour is rendered. It is a tricky shade of blue/green, so different angles relative to the sun could have an impact, or maybe the Limited lens does a better job than the kit lens. When I did a comparison of all of my lenses with a 70mm focal length, I thought the DA 70 Ltd had the truest colours, even if it wasn't that much sharper than a couple of my zooms.

I have found that the DA 18-55 kit lens can get pretty good results in its entire focal length range if there is lots of contrast and you aren't looking at 100% crops. It's the challenging shots where it falls short, which in my mind is a good thing, because I would hate to spend money for "better" lenses if there really wasn't anything to be gained. The other comment I'll make is that my photos with primes tend to be more "staged" or planned than photos taken with zooms, simply because you have to make the scene fit the lens. For anyone new to photography, that is probably a foreign concept. Depending on why someone feels moved to take a photograph and who is intended to look at it, it could be argued that the kid with the plain kit was more successful.
09-18-2019, 04:24 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
I cheated after reading your post and followed the links to Flickr, but the key thing is that the old guy moved closer to the car and took a traditional side shoot to show the car's lines and treated the mountainous scene as unimportant background. The kid was paying attention to the mountains and put the car in the scene for context.

Once I had read the EXIF, I noticed the difference in how the car's colour is rendered. It is a tricky shade of blue/green, so different angles relative to the sun could have an impact, or maybe the Limited lens does a better job than the kit lens. When I did a comparison of all of my lenses with a 70mm focal length, I thought the DA 70 Ltd had the truest colours, even if it wasn't that much sharper than a couple of my zooms.

I have found that the DA 18-55 kit lens can get pretty good results in its entire focal length range if there is lots of contrast and you aren't looking at 100% crops. It's the challenging shots where it falls short, which in my mind is a good thing, because I would hate to spend money for "better" lenses if there really wasn't anything to be gained. The other comment I'll make is that my photos with primes tend to be more "staged" or planned than photos taken with zooms, simply because you have to make the scene fit the lens. For anyone new to photography, that is probably a foreign concept. Depending on why someone feels moved to take a photograph and who is intended to look at it, it could be argued that the kid with the plain kit was more successful.
I like the composition of my kid's picture better. And part of the point of this exercise is that at normal viewing distances it's hard to tell which was taken with the better kit.

09-18-2019, 05:58 AM - 1 Like   #5
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
I like the composition of my kid's picture better. And part of the point of this exercise is that at normal viewing distances it's hard to tell which was taken with the better kit.
Fooled me! And I agree.
09-18-2019, 01:12 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Your kid did well! I like the first one the best.
09-18-2019, 01:33 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The K-30 is an excellent camera, even though it's entry level. I love mountains and those in the first photo caught my eyes, not so much the second shot. The kid has a great eye and holds a lot of promise. I hope he continues his photographic journey.
09-18-2019, 02:11 PM - 1 Like   #8
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I guessed the second one was the prime before reading the post by @RGlasel . I looked at Flickr but not at the EXIF. I didn't try to guess by FOV/perspective or DOF. I thought the defining quality of the Limiteds is their microcontrast - the second image has plenty of that (just look at the Audi symbol on the back left wheel). Even allowing for the fact that the car wasn't the focal point in the first photo, the kit lens image doesn't have the same microcontrast anywhere.

Pity the K-30 chose such a wide aperture. It would have been better at f8 or f11. I suppose the camera was guessing that the photographer wanted some subject separation. It would do better in Scene mode.

Thanks for posting Jonathan. The fact that the images are even comparable is a good illustration of how amazingly capable even entry level cameras and lenses are. And it's great to see a young Pentaxian with a good eye in the making.
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Fooled me!
It proves you didn't cheat Tom. ;-)

Last edited by Des; 09-18-2019 at 02:35 PM.