Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Roses - Unknown yellow, and "The Prince"
Lens: Tamron f/2.8 90mm Camera: Pentax K-5 Photo Location: Manchester, Iowa Shutter Speed: 1/160s Aperture: F2.8 
Posted By: mroeder75, 09-24-2019, 08:38 PM

I could do better but this was the best I could do today, without a coach, and more time.
Views: 702
09-24-2019, 09:35 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nothing wrong with this photograph. Absolutely beautiful.

TT
09-24-2019, 09:43 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Nothing wrong with this photograph. Absolutely beautiful.

TT
You are very kind.

I wanted to elevate the lighting on the roses in back as they are beautiful too. Maybe I needed a flash pointed at the ceiling.
09-25-2019, 06:17 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Beautiful. I actually like the muted red flowers in the background. It adds a dramatic effect to it.

09-25-2019, 08:37 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Beautiful. I actually like the muted red flowers in the background. It adds a dramatic effect to it.
"The Prince" almost always appears red on photos, but to my eye they are purple in real life. My secretary says they are red. The American Rose Society classifies them as red, but the ARS has no classification for purple colored roses - purple roses are classified either red, or mauve.

Our letter carrier asked today if the flowers on our counter were artificial, and she liked the "purple" ones. A bit more light might bring out the purple hue but then the yellow is too brightly lit in a photo. It was too difficult to depict colors true-to-life, at least by my eye so after about 10 photos I stopped. My secretary's eye seems to see them just as they are depicted here.

It's like the blue or gold dress that went viral.
09-25-2019, 08:52 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mroeder75 Quote
Our letter carrier asked today if the flowers on our counter were artificial, and she liked the "purple" ones. A bit more light might bring out the purple hue but then the yellow is too brightly lit in a photo. It was too difficult to depict colors true-to-life, at least by my eye so after about 10 photos I stopped. My secretary's eye seems to see them just as they are depicted here.
I don't know what PP software you use, but with Lightroom or Photoshop you can selectively adjust the various colors for both luminence or saturation. That way you can bring up the red flowers without affecting the yellow one.
09-25-2019, 06:45 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

"The Prince" almost always appears red on photos, but to my eye they are purple in real life. My secretary says they are red. The American Rose Society classifies them as red, but the ARS has no classification for purple colored roses - purple roses are classified either red, or mauve.

It's like the blue or gold dress that went viral.
I am not seeing the real life flower, only your photograph. I would classify the colour I am seeing as a very deep red (honestly, I don't see any blue in it all to make it mauve or purple) - a bit of googling and the closest I found was one example of blood red.

EDIT: Burgendy?? as in one of the deeper red wines?

Whatever, the flowers have a lush complexity of petals, and the bright yellow (or gold?) against that deep red makes for a stunning image. Beautiful.

Last edited by K2 to K50; 09-25-2019 at 09:35 PM. Reason: add more comment
09-25-2019, 11:02 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
I don't know what PP software you use, but with Lightroom or Photoshop you can selectively adjust the various colors for both luminence or saturation. That way you can bring up the red flowers without affecting the yellow one.
On this, I tried Faststone, and didn't use any. It is good but I cannot selectively adjust various color as you suggest. I can only change selective colors across the entire screen with Faststone. I have purchased various photo softwares but the adobe photoshop program was beyond what I would pay. I did not know there was a secondary program
09-26-2019, 10:30 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Not my best work, but this is what my eye sees with "The Prince, " i.e. the purple coloring.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
09-27-2019, 06:21 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Okay, I can almost be convinced I can see the suggestion of purple on the edges of the petals!!
09-27-2019, 04:19 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
Okay, I can almost be convinced I can see the suggestion of purple on the edges of the petals!!
Let me guess. You thought the dress was gold.
09-27-2019, 05:57 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Let me guess. You thought the dress was gold.
What dress? I thought it was a curtain?....or a flag? In any case, wasn't it really black?.......But then, I wake up at noon, so.......