Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Earth Song
Lens: Tamron 18-250mm1:3.5-6.3 Camera: Pentax K-5 Photo Location: Manchester, Iowa ISO: 100 Aperture: F7.1 
Posted By: mroeder75, 09-26-2019, 10:05 PM

Earth Song [Shutter speed:1/400th]

This is a Griffith Buck rose. Griffith Buck was an Iowa State University professor who hybridized roses, and released them to the public without patenting them. The hybridizer usually would receive $1.00 per rose bush sold for 17-years or so. He was not so motivated for the money. Iowa State gave him a field to grow roses. He planted his fledglings, and if they didn't survive the next year, or if they were disease prone they were not released to commerce. After he died Iowa State University really didn't respect him and plowed his field of roses. Much was lost. Roses submitted to commerce were not always sold each year and now Iowa State formed Reiman Gardens and tries to resurrect and preserve what Griffith Buck started. Earth Song is my most vigorous pink rose. It has a pleasant fruity scent. It is almost a continuous bloomer. It is a very hardy hybrid tea. It expands and outgrows everything in the rose bed. It is disease resistant. If you want to grow a pink rose that is easy, beautiful, scented, with high-centered blooms, this is the one. It is better than Knockout.

The other great pink rose is Queen Elizabeth. Earth Song is less well known, but better.

Last edited by mroeder75; 09-27-2019 at 04:17 PM.
Views: 441
09-27-2019, 02:46 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What a beautiful flower. Another very interesting narrative. I trust you will not mind if I were to share these images and information with people who are avid flower lovers. ???

Thanks so much for posting.

TT
09-27-2019, 06:22 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Great photo of a beautiful rose and very informative. Thanks for sharing.
09-27-2019, 04:22 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
What a beautiful flower. Another very interesting narrative. I trust you will not mind if I were to share these images and information with people who are avid flower lovers. ???

Thanks so much for posting.

TT
That's fine.