Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
How to crop?
Posted By: yipchunyu, 10-14-2008, 12:17 AM

Do pro crop their image? or just leave it as composite?
how should i crop this pic to make it better?
pls advice.

Attached Images

Views: 2,767
10-14-2008, 12:50 AM   #2
Damn Brit

There are different reasons for cropping. To improve composition, to get rid of something you don't want in there, to focus on a specific point in the photo to enlarge it. It's also a matter of personal preference.

Your picture is quite nice as it is. If you wanted to do something to it, you could crop out the first building on the far right, the first light on the left hand side (this also positions the canal wall leading directly out from the corner. Then you could maybe crop out some of the sky to balance the picture.
You could also crop the bottom up to the base of the wall on the right then crop some of the sky to make a panorama. Which is another reason why people crop.
I'm sure others would do it a different way.
10-14-2008, 01:20 AM   #3
Inactive Account

I like it as it is, I like the first building on the right, but Gary has a point, taking out the first light could do a bit for compressing the scene a bit. This is a very nice exposure !
10-14-2008, 01:54 AM   #4
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd leave it as it is

10-14-2008, 01:58 AM   #5
Damn Brit

If you also crop the sky down to the roof line on the far right as well as that first light, you create a nice pano with good lines IMO.
10-14-2008, 04:09 AM   #6
Inactive Account

It's pretty good as it is to my eye
10-14-2008, 05:39 PM   #7
Damn Brit

Agreed, the lines in the shot and the perspective combine to give an almost fisheye effect.
My crop suggestions were due to the question that was asked by OP.

10-14-2008, 06:27 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like the photo and for me I may have dropped a little from the left side and the right side. The left side with the strong light tends to bring your eye there instead of the middle out where so much of the pictures strong points are. I crop a lot. [Gary has been extremely helpful as he has a great eye for the overall picture] and for me I think it has improve a lot of my shots over the past couple of month. In the end it is stil one great shot. JIMBO
10-14-2008, 07:26 PM   #9
Veteran Member

this is my version (if u don't mind)

10-14-2008, 07:27 PM   #10
Veteran Member

p.s. did youuse a poloriser on this pic, which was great as it was, but i was just giving you an idea on how others would 'crop'
10-15-2008, 01:38 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Taff Quote
p.s. did youuse a poloriser on this pic, which was great as it was, but i was just giving you an idea on how others would 'crop'
Hi all,
Thx for all your kindly advice. I shoot it with DA 14 (my first time to use this) and still learning how to shoot with a ultra wide. Your advices will surely help me to know how to composite a scene in the future.

I shoot this pic without any CPL. I want to get a 2nd hand copy but no luck yet.

Damn Brit:
English is not my native language and I can't understand your advice concretely. Would u pls to give me a favor and attach a sample like Taff? Thx in advance.
10-15-2008, 02:18 AM   #12
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by yipchunyu Quote
Damn Brit:
English is not my native language and I can't understand your advice concretely. Would u pls to give me a favor and attach a sample like Taff? Thx in advance.
Sure, here are the two that I suggested.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 10-21-2008 at 08:06 PM.
10-15-2008, 03:20 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I love how photography gives us the opportunity to look at the same things completely differantly
10-15-2008, 07:29 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I'll go with some of the others and say I like the photo as is. Digital photography has made cropping such a simple thing to do that sometimes we may feel obligated to crop a little to improve a shot but I don't think this shot needs cropping unless you want to change it for your own personel taste.
10-15-2008, 08:34 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I'll go with some of the others and say I like the photo as is. Digital photography has made cropping such a simple thing to do that sometimes we may feel obligated to crop a little to improve a shot but I don't think this shot needs cropping unless you want to change it for your own personel taste.
i get "rejected" from pentax gallery for this image. I guess it's because I don't composite this scene well. So, I asked whether it's ok to crop to make it better.
Personally, I don't like to crop too.