Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Tallinn Old Town
Lens: DA35 F2.4 / A50 F1.7 Camera: Pentax K-5 Photo Location: Tallinn 
Posted By: TLiivo, 09-30-2019, 02:19 PM

Haven't posted here in years, so I thought I'd post a few snaps from my latest walkabout in Tallinn Old Town.
Used two lenses, the DA35 F2.4 and the A50 F1.7, on the Pentax K-5.

If anyone would like to play, which pic is taken with which lens? The exif is there, if you'd like to cheat...

View Picture EXIF
Name:  _IGP6567.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  311.3 KB

#2 Hint, this is a panorama
View Picture EXIF
Name:  _IGP6590-Pano.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  105.7 KB

View Picture EXIF
Name:  _IGP6685.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  268.0 KB

View Picture EXIF
Name:  _IGP6707.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  190.4 KB

View Picture EXIF
Name:  _IGP6723.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  174.2 KB

View Picture EXIF
Name:  _IGP6737.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  338.8 KB

View Picture EXIF
Name:  _IGP6759.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  168.8 KB

View Picture EXIF
Name:  _IGP6762.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  201.7 KB

Views: 303
09-30-2019, 04:43 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Great shots. Over a decade since I was in Tallinn and I would like to go back, especially with a camera, or two.
09-30-2019, 08:54 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My former secretary's husband grew up in part in Estonia, until World War II interrupted his childhood. Somehow he ended up in Germany at age 11 upon conclusion of the war. Oddly enough, he would say the Estonians preferred the Nazis over the Soviets. One's perception is clouded by whether you or your group of people are the ones being suppressed.

In circa 1994 he returned to Estonia after Estonia became independent with the thought he might try to reclaim property that the family had owned before Communism was imposed. I think he made no claim but allowed his cousins to do so.

He brought a few souvenirs back for me. This coffee mug is one, which I immediately turned to when I saw your amazing photos. If you are familiar with what is depicted on my mug, please comment. I think these domes atop the turrets are domes pictured in your photos. What is the large structure? On this side of the pond it is discomforting to have a kick in de kok. If you can identify what is pictured, can you give us a little history?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
09-30-2019, 10:28 PM   #4

Original Poster
Yeah, Kiek in de Kök (say it three times fast)

I only have this, pretty poor shot of the tower from the same walkabout, I'm pretty sure I have some older shots of it too, but can't really find them at the moment. Not really a history buff, the best I can do is this wiki article

View Picture EXIF
Name:  _IGP6790-Enhanced.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  334.6 KB

09-30-2019, 10:51 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you for this. Actually I asked my secretary's husband to pick up a "Russian hat" for me before he left. He brought back two that he picked up at a flea market, they were woolen, not fur. The type with the ear flaps that fold down or are tied up atop per your preference. He said it was Russian army surplus but says, "Estonia." These are the warmest hats ever. Last year we had two nights with low temps of -30 F. I am still wearing mine. I gave the other to my dad, but he doesn't use it. He moved to Arizona.
10-01-2019, 06:04 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mroeder75 Quote
Thank you for this. Actually I asked my secretary's husband to pick up a "Russian hat" for me before he left. He brought back two that he picked up at a flea market, they were woolen, not fur. The type with the ear flaps that fold down or are tied up atop per your preference. He said it was Russian army surplus but says, "Estonia." These are the warmest hats ever. Last year we had two nights with low temps of -30 F. I am still wearing mine. I gave the other to my dad, but he doesn't use it. He moved to Arizona.
No problem, If you're interested, here's pretty much all of my shots from the walk: Käisin vanalinnas...21.09.2019 - Google Photos Some way too "touristy" (is that a word?) to display anywhere else.