Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
There was a cabin right here...
Lens: Samyang 24mm Camera: K-1 Photo Location: Salganjávri, Norway ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/25s Aperture: F9 
Posted By: Fries, 09-30-2019, 03:10 PM

...according to the hiking map. This stove was all that was left and a small pile of wood a bit further on.

Cheers,

Remco

Views: 563
10-01-2019, 06:53 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love coming across old relics like this.
10-01-2019, 01:56 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
I love coming across old relics like this.
When I was on my way up I didn't gave it much more then a second look, but on my way down I had come around to your way of thinking and took the shot. Thank you for commenting!
11-19-2019, 08:51 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
...according to the hiking map. This stove was all that was left and a small pile of wood a bit further on.

Cheers,

Remco
So weird, how some objects stay after the rest is long gone.

11-19-2019, 09:08 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

I have a similar one in the woods near my house. I believe it was the wood stove for the old school house that was near it's final resting place in the 30's. All the materials for the old school house were stolen when the new school was built. I guess they didn't want the old stove. IN my travels through Algonquin Park and environs , I've found at least 3 old stoves in similar condition.

In Canada the topo maps haven't been updated since the late 70s. There are all kinds of buildings that no longer exist on those maps. I've looked for some of them. It's often not worth the effort.

Last edited by normhead; 11-19-2019 at 09:15 AM.
11-20-2019, 02:59 AM - 1 Like   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
There was a cabin right here...
Now that's a room with a view...
11-21-2019, 04:41 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Photogoof Quote
So weird, how some objects stay after the rest is long gone.
Thanks! The nearest paved road is about 20 kilometers away and that stove looks rather heavy... I think that might explain it.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I have a similar one in the woods near my house. I believe it was the wood stove for the old school house that was near it's final resting place in the 30's. All the materials for the old school house were stolen when the new school was built. I guess they didn't want the old stove. IN my travels through Algonquin Park and environs , I've found at least 3 old stoves in similar condition.

In Canada the topo maps haven't been updated since the late 70s. There are all kinds of buildings that no longer exist on those maps. I've looked for some of them. It's often not worth the effort.
When I was a boy having on your yearly holiday with the family in Western Norway we got to meet a guy from Canada traveling by bicycle. Really nice guy and he told us there were many similarities between Canada and Norway. He was mainly talking about the landscape but now I know it does not stop there. Thanks! And when I started hiking in northern Norway I used maps from the early '70s. One day I just experienced a dangerous river crossing in foul weather. I was wet, cold, hungry and to be honest also somewhat rattled by something that felt like a near death experience. Luckily I noticed a cabin nearby on the map near a small lake. A solution was at hand! But it was not to be. After searching for al long time I discovered a door leading into a dug out space in a small hill; but it had caved in and was beyond any use. I learned the same lesson you learned.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Now that's a room with a view...
Excellent air condition too!

11-21-2019, 05:45 PM - 1 Like   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Excellent air condition too!
Aye but the controls aren’t too user friendly.
11-24-2019, 03:21 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Aye but the controls aren’t too user friendly.
Yes, the intact cabins further up the path were far more popular.
11-24-2019, 03:28 PM - 1 Like   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, the intact cabins further up the path were far more popular.
I'm sure...
11-24-2019, 05:15 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If only this relic could talk, and tell the things it's seen.