Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Yosemite - Glacier Carved Canyon - Toulumne River Canyon
Lens: smc PENTAX-DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Shot at 21 mm Camera: Pentax D10 Photo Location: Yosemite Glen Aulin ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/350s Aperture: F6.7 
Posted By: Grzldvt, 09-30-2019, 10:05 PM

Went to Yosemite last week and hiked to a very cool canyon. I wanted to post an incredible shot that shows a glacier carved river canyon in Yosemite. Looking at the picture the right edge of the large granite Dome on the left it has horizontal stripes(They are very subtle). The glacier created those by scraping rocks across the surface, and was actually several thousand feet above those domes. The vertical stripes are water stains. It is a bit mind boggling standing there knowing how deep/high the ice was.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 

Last edited by Grzldvt; 10-01-2019 at 10:01 PM.
Views: 608
09-30-2019, 10:12 PM   #2
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shot. The power of a glacier is amazing.
10-01-2019, 06:58 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The image is not showing. Shame, I plan on visiting Yosemite and would like to learn more about it.
10-01-2019, 10:19 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah image not showing up for me either.

10-01-2019, 01:07 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello Monsieur Déry,

Yosemite Nat'l Park is located in the Sierra Nevada Mountain Range. It can be accessed from 4 directions : from the West directly from San Francisco via Rte 120, also from Merced and the Central Valley on Rte 140; from the South from Fresno, Coarsegold and Rte 41; from the East via Rte 120 branching West from Rte 395 and the Owens Valley. The Park closes during the winter because of heavy snowfalls. It opens around the end of May and you'd better check the National Park Service website to learn about opening and closure of the gates. The NPS charges a daily fee to access the Park or, better yet, you may buy a "Golden Eagle" yearly Pass (@ 80 $) that gives access to every National Park in the U.S. (entrance fee for the Grand Canyon was 35 $ this year for example so the Pass pays for itself really quickly). Last year in June, only one campground was open to the public (Tuolumne Meadows) and it took more than 1 hour waiting in line to obtain a site, so better check their website in advance for availability. There is a "General Store" in the Park where you can buy food, souvenirs and gasoline (gas cost 6,00 $/gallon in 2018 so if you spend several days in the Park, you'll have to fuel up at those exhorbitant prices). You can visit several beautiful sites in the Park, notably Glacier Point (picture #1), Olmstead Point (picture #2), Half Dome (picture #3), Yosemite Falls (picture #4), El Capitan, Tenaya Lake, Wawona Valley, the Merced River, etc. There are huge crowds and heavy traffic during the weekend so better visit during the middle of the week. Roads are narrow and scary sometimes with a precipice looming 2 feet from the asphalt surface, so drive slowly and never leave the road from sight. The altitude is around 8000 feet, you may feel dizzy and seem to lack air. If you sleep in a tent, the mornings are always cold even in July at around 2 or 3 degrees Celsius. Really beautiful views but crowded and expensive.

Regards,

RICHARD L.

---------- Post added 10-01-19 at 04:24 PM ----------

Last edited by RICHARD L.; 10-01-2019 at 02:41 PM.
10-01-2019, 10:03 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
The image is not showing. Shame, I plan on visiting Yosemite and would like to learn more about it.
Fixed, and I might add I DO NOT Post process my pics. All natural shots
10-02-2019, 05:07 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Grzldvt Quote
Fixed
Great! These are beautiful.

10-02-2019, 05:36 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you, M. Déry. I hope the original poster will forgive me ... I try to make my pictures as beautiful as possible, correcting slanted horizons, dull colors or excessive contrast ... Sorry !

Last edited by RICHARD L.; 10-02-2019 at 06:43 AM.