Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Wild Rose in the studio
Lens: DA 18-55mm@48mm Camera: k5lls Photo Location: Murrow, County Limerick, Ireland ISO: 320 Shutter Speed: 1/13s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: mahanpots, 10-01-2019, 07:06 PM

My wife picked this rose for my pottery studio in Ireland back in June. We spend two months every summer making and selling pots as well as visiting her family.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 

Views: 470
10-01-2019, 07:28 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nice choice for lighting.
10-01-2019, 08:31 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mahanpots Quote
My wife picked this rose for my pottery studio in Ireland back in June. We spend two months every summer making and selling pots as well as visiting her family.
The rose and pottery go well together.
10-01-2019, 11:36 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Appears to be a rugosa rose. Our wild roses in the U.S. are singles. Iowa State Flower: Wild Prairie Rose The rose pictured is double with some typical rugosa features, like double flowers which have confused centers that have traditional low centered blooms, with tiny numerous thorns. Yours probably has the very traditional rose scent. Usually the veins in rugosa leaves are deeply ingrained. It is likely a hybridized rose from the 1800s. Definitely a keeper.

10-02-2019, 04:43 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mroeder75 Quote
Appears to be a rugosa rose. Our wild roses in the U.S. are singles. Iowa State Flower: Wild Prairie Rose The rose pictured is double with some typical rugosa features, like double flowers which have confused centers that have traditional low centered blooms, with tiny numerous thorns. Yours probably has the very traditional rose scent. Usually the veins in rugosa leaves are deeply ingrained. It is likely a hybridized rose from the 1800s. Definitely a keeper.
Thanks for the info. My wife's mother planted it from a cutting off from her brother's place.

---------- Post added 10-02-19 at 04:45 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
Nice choice for lighting.
It's right beside my potter's wheel. Most potters put their wheel by a window, as did I.

---------- Post added 10-02-19 at 04:46 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The rose and pottery go well together.
I can sell you a pot.... Thanks.
10-02-2019, 10:04 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mahanpots Quote
Thanks for the info. My wife's mother planted it from a cutting off from her brother's place.[COLOR="Silver"]
I am not so good a cuttings having success only once, although I occasionally get a piece that includes a root which is sort of a cutting and transplant and it works well. I think you can get a piece of a rugosa with some of the root and restart it easily. Sort of a cutting. I like all kinds of roses. And pottery is such a traditional thing that adds value we can all appreciate.