Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 33 Likes Search this Thread
13 Likes  
Aurora season started out nicely so far..
Posted By: sealight, 10-03-2019, 08:42 AM

caught my first aurora (almost as usual) at the beginning of september, this one is from last week...K-1 really is a nice treat to shoot northern lights....

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 

Views: 1,934
10-04-2019, 07:03 AM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Wow, that is a fantastic photo! The irridescent reflections in the water and silhouetted treeline are beautiful.

10-04-2019, 06:53 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Any tips for capturing said images of you actually have them present?
10-04-2019, 08:58 PM - 1 Like   #18
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

Excellent image, with great color and composition. The reeds stand out so well against the reflection in the water. And so still.

I'm heading to Iceland this coming dark season, and if I get a shot 1/2 as good as this one, it's gonna be on my wall.
I'll try to remember your pointers on taking aurora images.

Thanks.
10-05-2019, 05:00 AM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Amazing sight to see . Thanks for sharing something like I saw as a boy .

10-05-2019, 11:32 AM   #20
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TedH42 Quote
Excellent image, with great color and composition. The reeds stand out so well against the reflection in the water. And so still.

I'm heading to Iceland this coming dark season, and if I get a shot 1/2 as good as this one, it's gonna be on my wall.
I'll try to remember your pointers on taking aurora images.

Thanks.
thank you Ted!
o Iceland- guess that should give a good chance to spot some magic in the skies! Iceland is top on my own wishlist of places I'd like to travel! really believe it's an impressive place!

---------- Post added 10-05-19 at 11:34 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by STARHUNTER94 Quote
Any tips for capturing said images of you actually have them present?
tips on how to capture the northern lights, or how to spot them?

---------- Post added 10-05-19 at 11:42 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by HoutHans Quote
Absolutely amazing picture, also because of the reflection, and a dream of mine as well. In the Netherlands we only get a few hints of the aurora with the biggest of storms, so I'll need to head up north sometime.
oh- I can imagine, and lightpollution could also be of a problem I guess...I'm originally from south of germany- and I was lucky enough to see an incredible red aurora 20years ago- really makes me wonder how strong that sunstorm must have been...
now some years later I can spot even very weak aurora, 2 years ago I spotted some around koblenz- and basically a photo i took proofed me right...but yes, for the 'real thing' one should go north, the higher up north the better your chances...
10-05-2019, 12:34 PM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sealight Quote
tell your brother to look for strangely moving, whitish clouds in a clear nightsky
My brother saw his first aurora last night (your time). He didn't give a description and the photo from his phone was pretty underwhelming but I expect better from the DSLR shots.
10-05-2019, 03:08 PM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

Amazing shot and well-planned location with the water and framing. I keep wondering how I'm going to see one in the future, whether I plan multiple trips up north and cross my fingers, or if I just plan to retire in Alaska Anyway, pictures like this reignite my fantasy. Thanks for sharing.

10-05-2019, 03:59 PM   #23
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alfa75ts Quote
My brother saw his first aurora last night (your time). He didn't give a description and the photo from his phone was pretty underwhelming but I expect better from the DSLR shots.
nice! yeah- shots from cellphones usually are ... I've seen some nice ones though! right now I spot also a bit of activity in the sky
10-05-2019, 04:02 PM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

Really cool
10-05-2019, 04:07 PM   #25
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Snapppy Quote
Amazing shot and well-planned location with the water and framing. I keep wondering how I'm going to see one in the future, whether I plan multiple trips up north and cross my fingers, or if I just plan to retire in Alaska Anyway, pictures like this reignite my fantasy. Thanks for sharing.
thank you!
well, it's a spot I know fairly well, it's just a few minutes drive away from the place I work at...literally took thousands of photos there already, because it's near by- and gives me a good view in almost all directions, because you never know where the magic happens...this shot for example was almost complete opposite direction than where 80% of the displays appear...
10-05-2019, 04:19 PM   #26
Pentaxian

thank you!
well, it's a spot I know fairly well, it's just a few minutes drive away from the place I work at...literally took thousands of photos there already, because it's near by- and gives me a good view in almost all directions, because you never know where the magic happens...this shot for example was almost complete opposite direction than where 80% of the displays appear...
What an amazing place you live. From what I understand, this is why the famous photographer Ansel Adams has so many incredible photos, because he literally lived where he was shooting and took many, many photos there. That helped him learn the right angles, the right times of day, the right technical settings, and then could wait until the conditions were just right. Really starts to make clear that moments like yours aren't so much 'random' as it is the culmination of experience and technique from thousands of other pictures, and when nature is ready to play it's role, you're prepared for it.

So, thanks for sharing that. I love that you have taken thousands of photos there already. Makes this one even more special.
10-05-2019, 06:39 PM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fabulous! I hoped to catch Aurora australis on a recent trip to New Zealand, but solar activity was nil.
10-05-2019, 06:44 PM   #28
Pentaxian

[/COLOR]
tips on how to capture the northern lights, or how to spot them?[COLOR="Silver"]

Both if you can give me any tips!
10-06-2019, 03:34 AM - 1 Like   #29
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Fabulous! I hoped to catch Aurora australis on a recent trip to New Zealand, but solar activity was nil.
thank you Rob!
yeah- solar activity has been quite low the past of months, the sun's cycle currently is in a solar minimum- so there's very little sun spots happening that could cause stronger magnetic storms...but autumn here in northern europe had some nice displays already, I took my first shots as usually by the end of august...but then- I know I live quite far up north- basically on the polar circle, so I don't need as strong auroral activity to spot something...

---------- Post added 10-06-19 at 04:08 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Snapppy Quote
What an amazing place you live. From what I understand, this is why the famous photographer Ansel Adams has so many incredible photos, because he literally lived where he was shooting and took many, many photos there. That helped him learn the right angles, the right times of day, the right technical settings, and then could wait until the conditions were just right. Really starts to make clear that moments like yours aren't so much 'random' as it is the culmination of experience and technique from thousands of other pictures, and when nature is ready to play it's role, you're prepared for it.

So, thanks for sharing that. I love that you have taken thousands of photos there already. Makes this one even more special.
o yes- the nature around here is really amazing, one really doesn't need to go far to get some great scenery. And I'm with you, it surely helps if you know your places well, guess we all know how time consuming photography can be...the place I live right now for sure has a lot to offer, but I guess it won't be the place I will finally settle- but I'm almost sure it will be somewhere in the northern hemisphere! At times I really enjoy living a 'nomads life', before I moved here from germany I spent 3 months on the road- and really enjoyed it!
I know the north since being a child, in some ways I sometimes search for places that where engraved in my memory as a child, which shaped my view on the landscapes up here- and when I nowadays travel up here I kinda do my personal mapping of spots that attract me- where I want to return to to get some shots I haven't taken yet, or where at some point passed by and didn't t my time to take a shot of a 'perfect' moment (excusing myself- you will come back here...I definitively know I missed a few real good shots because of that, because the light/ weather at exactly that moment won't ever be the same)...
for me the north has such an abundance of great scenery, you sometimes could stop every 5 minutes...and to come back to you- yes, this place here teaches me framing, technical settings etc...it might later translate at other places well too
10-06-2019, 04:21 AM - 1 Like   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
thank you Rob!
yeah- solar activity has been quite low the past of months, the sun's cycle currently is in a solar minimum- so there's very little sun spots happening that could cause stronger magnetic storms...but autumn here in northern europe had some nice displays already, I took my first shots as usually by the end of august...but then- I know I live quite far up north- basically on the polar circle, so I don't need as strong auroral activity to spot something...
Oddly enough, there was a brief amount of aurora before and after our trip to NZ but absolutely nothing during. The latitude of Canberra is 35 degrees south. If you compare it to Europe, that's similar to Gibraltar, so you can see why we don't see Aurora australis often. For comparison, I just got back from Queenstown which is 45 degrees south, similar to Lyon in France. The Southern Ocean is huge. Casey station is on the edge of Antarctica, yet it's almost 4,000 km from Melbourne.