Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
My favourite tree
Lens: DFA 150-450 Camera: K3 Photo Location: Canberra, Australia ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/350s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: RobG, 10-07-2019, 04:54 AM

My favourite tree
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr
Views: 866
10-07-2019, 06:29 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Wow! I love it. Thank you for sharing.
10-07-2019, 11:54 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
I have a cat who hugs the doorframe like that, reaching about three feet, but it is done in a second. Your model is much better at holding the pose - and you at catching it.
10-07-2019, 02:34 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Reality_Check Quote
Wow! I love it. Thank you for sharing.
Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I have a cat who hugs the doorframe like that, reaching about three feet, but it is done in a second. Your model is much better at holding the pose - and you at catching it.
Yeah, this guy wasn't moving a whole lot.

10-07-2019, 02:42 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Good expression and great title.
10-07-2019, 03:37 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bladerunner6 Quote
Good expression and great title.
Thanks!
10-07-2019, 04:28 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great shot. Looks like he is asleep to me.

10-07-2019, 06:07 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by foxandcrow Quote
Great shot. Looks like he is asleep to me.
His left eye is open a little, but Koalas spend the vast proportion of their time sleeping. Eucalyptus leaves provide very little nutrition, so Koalas minimise their activity when they aren't actually feeding.
10-07-2019, 06:19 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
A quintessentially Australian image, well caught. Good one, Rob. But hey, he looks so sleepy he is making me feel sleepy, and I only just got up!!!
10-07-2019, 06:24 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Not being from Australia I have no idea: is it hard to find them?
10-07-2019, 06:42 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't do as much bush-walking as I would like to, but I don't recall ever seeing one "in the wild".

koala endangered status - Google Search
10-07-2019, 07:14 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
A quintessentially Australian image, well caught. Good one, Rob. But hey, he looks so sleepy he is making me feel sleepy, and I only just got up!!!
Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by STARHUNTER94 Quote
Not being from Australia I have no idea: is it hard to find them?
QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
I don't do as much bush-walking as I would like to, but I don't recall ever seeing one "in the wild".
It's very hard to find them, even in an environment like a few hectares of trees surrounded by a predator-proof fence, as was the case where I photographed this one. You wouldn't think that a relatively large grey furry animal would be hard to spot in trees, but it's actually quite difficult.

I've seen them in the wild many times, but the areas where they are locally abundant are the same areas where people want to build housing estates, and Koala populations always come second in council decisions on land use, unfortunately. When I was a kid, there was a lone male who used to turn up near the car park at West Head just north of Sydney, but I think he was deliberately killed by someone. There was another male who lived in the trees around an apartment complex I lived in on the Gold Coast, but he disappeared when trees nearby were cleared for an industrial estate, along with bandicoots. Koalas are in plague proportions on Kangaroo Island in South Australia, and there have been attempts to control the population. On the mainland where they are subject to predation by foxes, most populations are under threat, but land clearing in coastal areas is by far the biggest threat to Koalas, along with chlamydia. The disease makes Koalas go blind, and obviously a tree-climbing animal can't exist without any vision at all. It's very sad that city councils see rates as being far more important than the survival of an iconic Australian marsupial. The Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast councils are the worst in this regard.

Last healthy koala colony in Sydney under threat from development, potential chlamydia infection - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Most of the region where Koalas once lived corresponds to the region where most humans now live.
10-09-2019, 06:56 PM   #13
Pentaxian

That's crazy and sad. They are beautiful animals and hopefully we get better at living together in that regard.
10-09-2019, 07:48 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by STARHUNTER94 Quote
That's crazy and sad. They are beautiful animals and hopefully we get better at living together in that regard.
I agree, and I hope so too.
10-09-2019, 08:00 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Thanks for sharing. I am shocked at how long their claws are.