Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Circular Bird Feeder
Lens: HD PENTAX-DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Camera: K-3 Photo Location: My Back Yard ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/45s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: Larrymc, 10-08-2019, 06:04 AM

Circular Bird Feeder SIC September 2019 5th
by Larry Mc, on Flickr
Views: 506
10-08-2019, 06:49 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
an interesting concept - the image would be perfect if you just had a few colorful customers.
10-08-2019, 07:03 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, RE, its pretty tough getting willing participants when I'm standing less than a foot away. My feathered friends kind of shy away when I'm that close. I keep this feeder stocked with food Cardinals love and it attracts Doves too but they have a hard time perching on it. Some enterprising Doves have figured out how to perch and eat from it, some haven't. Thanks for the visit, My Friend!
10-08-2019, 09:47 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Reh21, I viewed your Flickr page version. This is really cool with a larger view because it is not center focused.

10-09-2019, 05:44 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mroeder75 Quote
Reh21, I viewed your Flickr page version. This is really cool with a larger view because it is not center focused.
Thanks, I really appreciate your comment!! The HD 15 Limited is a really great little lens which can be manually focused easily because it has quick shift. I shot exclusively with the 15 during Sept and used the quick shift feature a good bit of the time. The AF is also very precise and even though it's a screw drive lens its super fast focusing!
10-09-2019, 09:59 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks, I really appreciate your comment!! The HD 15 Limited is a really great little lens which can be manually focused easily because it has quick shift. I shot exclusively with the 15 during Sept and used the quick shift feature a good bit of the time. The AF is also very precise and even though it's a screw drive lens its super fast focusing!
Could you explain how quick shift works? I don't believe I have used it.
10-10-2019, 05:32 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Could you explain how quick shift works? I don't believe I have used it.
This feature is exclusive to some Pentax lens, not all. Most auto focus lens focus rings can only be turned if the camera is set to manual focus. Quick shift allows you to make adjustments to the focus without switching to manual focus on the camera body, this is especially useful for situations where you are very close to the subject and the AF system can't quite get the focus or you have placed the subject in a position other than the center of the photo and you don't want to move the focus point in the viewfinder. Quick Shift is very useful if you use live view and the focus peaking feature of the camera. Somewhere on Pentax Forums there is a chart with Pentax lens features but I can't find it at this time.

10-10-2019, 09:48 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This feature is exclusive to some Pentax lens, not all. Most auto focus lens focus rings can only be turned if the camera is set to manual focus. Quick shift allows you to make adjustments to the focus without switching to manual focus on the camera body, this is especially useful for situations where you are very close to the subject and the AF system can't quite get the focus or you have placed the subject in a position other than the center of the photo and you don't want to move the focus point in the viewfinder. Quick Shift is very useful if you use live view and the focus peaking feature of the camera. Somewhere on Pentax Forums there is a chart with Pentax lens features but I can't find it at this time.
If I focus outside of center, I focus on-center, then flip to MF, and slightly rotate my camera so the original point of focus remains. I am trying to figure out how quick shift, benefits. Can you help me? Don't want you to think I am being critical how you accomplish this - your photo is greatly appreciated. On the contrary, I am a duffer. I am trying to learn.
10-11-2019, 11:07 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
If I focus outside of center, I focus on-center, then flip to MF, and slightly rotate my camera so the original point of focus remains. I am trying to figure out how quick shift, benefits. Can you help me? Don't want you to think I am being critical how you accomplish this - your photo is greatly appreciated. On the contrary, I am a duffer. I am trying to learn.
I'll PM you later today, if that's OK with you.